skimmers yes or no

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

lowrider
Amoeba

skimmers yes or no

Post by lowrider »

i have 29 gal with live rock and live sand 3 damsel a few snails and 2 snake polyps and daisy polyps do i have to have a skimmer or can i get buy without one im not going to keep much more than that in the tank im going to get a 75 gal started up soon i hope but just trying to see what the pros think :lol:
reefman8471
Amoeba

Skimmers

Post by reefman8471 »

I think you should be alright without one as long as you do regular water changes. If it were me I would do weekly 25% water changes. You might be able to do 50% bi-weekly as well but smaller more frequent changes are best.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
woolyt2
Amoeba

Post by woolyt2 »

like reefman said you should be ok with water changes ..but i would do it weekly ....or you could get a small hob skimmer cheep of rc or some of the online venders
woolyt2
Amoeba

Post by woolyt2 »

sent you an e-mail with link to cheep skimmer
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

You should be fine with water changes alone. Just make sure to change enough in frequent intervals. If you are going to get a new tank soon, save your money for a skimmer on that tank. No use wasting it on a tank you won't even be using, not to mention you can't use a 29 gallon range skimmer on your 75 (at least not very effectively). In addition to the water changes, I would look into running carbon and some phosphate removing media (like a good quality ferric oxide hydroxide). You should be set then.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
lowrider
Amoeba

Post by lowrider »

Amphiprion wrote:You should be fine with water changes alone. Just make sure to change enough in frequent intervals. If you are going to get a new tank soon, save your money for a skimmer on that tank. No use wasting it on a tank you won't even be using, not to mention you can't use a 29 gallon range skimmer on your 75 (at least not very effectively). In addition to the water changes, I would look into running carbon and some phosphate removing media (like a good quality ferric oxide hydroxide). You should be set then.
thanx for all the input u all :D
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

A good skimmer is worth its weight in gold. If you are setting up the 75 soon, then wait and get a really nice one for it. ALWAYS run a skimmer.
ab420
Amoeba

Post by ab420 »

Get a skimmer... mine broke and I went without one for a few weeks, and my tank got dirty very quickly... people say just do lots of water changes, but that's kind of a pain imo. :D
Tom619
Amoeba

Post by Tom619 »

wtrhed wrote:A good skimmer is worth its weight in gold. If you are setting up the 75 soon, then wait and get a really nice one for it. ALWAYS run a skimmer.
i agree. i cant imagine myself running a tank without a skimmer. it sucks up so much crap each week. water changes, yayda. it's wayy too much extra work. not worth it.
jdmorgan20fan
Amoeba

skimmer

Post by jdmorgan20fan »

I started out with a 20 long with no skimmer and doing the water changes that were annoying. I got a prizm skimmer and it really does wonders. The sludge that comes out of skimmers are nasty and it makes you think if this is coming out of the water, how nasty would it be if i didn't have one? I'm all for it.
Tom619
Amoeba

Re: skimmer

Post by Tom619 »

jdmorgan20fan wrote:I started out with a 20 long with no skimmer and doing the water changes that were annoying. I got a prizm skimmer and it really does wonders. The sludge that comes out of skimmers are nasty and it makes you think if this is coming out of the water, how nasty would it be if i didn't have one? I'm all for it.
exactly... why create more chores for yourself right? it's already hard enough