Tank Plumbing

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

evermann
Amoeba

Tank Plumbing

Post by evermann »

Just curious what u guys thought was the best glue/sealer to use when connecting PVC when seeting up a system?? I've heard several ideas and I'm not to sure anymore :?
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

The primer + glue combo that you usually use? I guess I'm not seeing the question. Are you asking if there's something "special" for saltwater setups vs. house plumbing? As far as I'm aware, there's not.
-Josh Murrah
evermann
Amoeba

Post by evermann »

Tht's exactly what I'm asking...I was under the assumption tht normal plumbers glue wasnt safe because of the chemicals used...Guess I was wrong???
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I let mine cure for a day or two after I glued it, but I used the normal purple primer and pvc glue. Worked great.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Yeah... I used regular purple primer and PVC glue, and let it cure for 12-24 hours... it's potable, so should be fine for the fishies. I have glue/primer/saws/etc. if you're over in the Mobile area, you can swing by and borrow whatever you'd need... just offering :)
-Josh Murrah
JPerkins
Amoeba

Post by JPerkins »

Best investment I ever made was the PVC tool that cuts, not saws, the pipe.

Man, that thing is so freaking slick, its well worth the investment. Cuts a perfectly straight edge, no burrs and snip snip snip, you get the length of pipe you want. Too long? snip snip, shorten up lickety split.

I paid like $10 for it at lowes and consider it the best purchase I have made. Makes doing plumbing so easy.

And yes, purple primer, regular cement, let it cure for 24-48 hours, run some water through the pipe to rinse any residue from the store you bought it from (no telling what chemicals and powders a hardware store has in it) and you're good to go.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

OOOhhh yeah, Jperkins brings up a good tip, I rinsed mine too for the same reason. Actually I cheated and put mine in operation in < 24 hours that way :)
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I will not lie, I glue my pipe and use it 5 minutes after. As far as i know i have never had any ill effects. I change my plumbing design every few months and when you do it on the fly you or your corals have no time for the pipe to set up. I never use primer. I did buy one of the pipe cutting tools two weeks ago after watching Tim Nye at Aquaworks use one. Wow is that thing badass, i went to Lowes and bought one that weekend. I cant cut a pipe with a hacksaw straight to save my life. Best investment i have made recently.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate