Plumbing prt.II

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

evermann
Amoeba

Plumbing prt.II

Post by evermann »

Hiya Guys. 2 separate questions, but I thought I could knock them out in 1 post.
First is brass, is it harmful? Could it be used in aquarium plumbing such as in a check valve? I’m having a little problem, locating a PVC ¾” check valve. I was told that brass wouldn’t corrode after years in the ocean…Is it an option?
Second are bulkheads, where do you guys buy them? I’ve been to several hardware stores to no avail. I need #2- ¾” and #1- 1” …Any leads would be helpful..thnks
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Get your bulkheads from Rich Gallop here in Mobile, or Mike over at Waggytail might have them or can order them.

You can't find a 3/4" checkvalve?? I know I've seen those locally somewhere.... I'll check the Tillman's Corner Lowes next time I'm by there, they have the best selection of the hardware stores in town.
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Isn't brass mostly composed of copper? I believe it is copper, zinc and lead. I don't think you would want lead & copper leeching into your tank.

I usually mail order stuff like bulkheads, too hard to try and catch Rich at home for me.
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem. ... uct=FT1135
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem. ... uct=FT1133
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Good price, what's their shipping like? Rich usually charges around $10 each for either 3/4" or 1"...

UPDATE I checked, and I paid Rich $10.90 for a 1" bulkhead with a strainer. Rich is beating Marinedepot's price after tax, $3.25 for a strainer and $6.50 for the bulkhead, $9.75 total, plus shipping (5.99 below).
Last edited by ShagMan on Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I put it in my shopping cart, and did checkout. Looks like UPS ground would be $5.99.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Re: Plumbing prt.II

Post by SaltnLime »

evermann wrote:Hiya Guys. 2 separate questions, but I thought I could knock them out in 1 post.
First is brass, is it harmful? Could it be used in aquarium plumbing such as in a check valve? I’m having a little problem, locating a PVC ¾” check valve. I was told that brass wouldn’t corrode after years in the ocean…Is it an option?
Second are bulkheads, where do you guys buy them? I’ve been to several hardware stores to no avail. I need #2- ¾” and #1- 1” …Any leads would be helpful..thnks

Brass has been noted as a toxic substance to many marine animals. I had several brass ball valves , but opted to go with PVC ones just to be on the safe side. There are so many products redily available in the US for aquarium plumbing that are completely reef friendly that there is really no need to chance.

I got my 3/4 inch check valve from Rich. It is clear so you can inspect periodically....it was kinda pricey though. About 3-4 times what HD or lowes would sell the white PVC ones for .
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Seeing what salt water does to brass i will never use it again. I had a 1/4" brass valve for a autofill and shortly went to a PVC one after seeing what the salt did to the brass. Dont use any metals if you can get away with it.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate