sump percentage / size?

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

ShagMan
Goby

sump percentage / size?

Post by ShagMan »

I'm planning on running a 55G for a sump on the 240G... is that enough? Maybe a 75 or more?

I'm running 2 x MAG 24, a pro-heat II heater, and 4 filter socks for the returns, that's about it.

The refugium will be seperate (20G).

What do you guys think? 55G too small?
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I really doubt 55 would be even close to enough. As it would only be about half full most of the time that would limit you to 22 gallons of play room. I am gestimating (no it is not a real word) that you would probably evaporate 4 gallons a day from the sump, then take away for sand or rock whatever you will have in it. Not too much play room left.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

LOL just looked closely at your avatar.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

What would you go with Kevin?

There'll be 20" x 100" of room underneath the tank.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Go as big as you can possible go with the room that you have. I personally would shoot for maybe a 90 gallon or higher. Even look into a custom acrylic sump if you can go that route.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

I have always thought that the sump/refugium (or combo of both) should be 3x water volume of the display tank. Of course, that isn't possible at my house with out installing a swimming pool out back. :roll:

I really think that the key to success is how you maintain your sump/refug and not how big it is. What is in it and what the water flow is like, etc. is the key to it all.

Elizabeth
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

lzb3 wrote:I have always thought that the sump/refugium (or combo of both) should be 3x water volume of the display tank. Of course, that isn't possible at my house with out installing a swimming pool out back. :roll:

I really think that the key to success is how you maintain your sump/refug and not how big it is. What is in it and what the water flow is like, etc. is the key to it all.

Elizabeth

That would be funny....seeing an 18 gallon tank sitting on this huge stand....look under the stand and see a 4ft 55 gallon refugium/sump :lol:
That would be the 3x theory. :? Or liz...I would need your tank under my tank ! :shock:
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Well, in theory the 3x capacity would be good. If you could have a 100 gallon refugium with macroalgae, a 100 gallon xenia filter and a 100 gallon sump attached to a 100 gallon tank you certainly would have much more stable water parameters and probably wouldn't need a skimmer. But in reality not very practical.

Josh,
You were not very pleased with the 20 gallon sump (1/5 tank volume), but seem happy with the 30 gallon (about 1/3 tank volume) . 1/3 of 240 is 80. So, your 75 gallon would be about the same as having a 30 under a 100 gallon tank. You will have more equipment, more flow, more evaporation and lots more flow through the sump, but it will work. Bigger would be better.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Sweeeeet... current plan is to have 4 2" drains (two drains in each end overflow), the 75 for the sump and ALL equipment, including submersible MAG24's (two) for all circulation, and a 55G refuge. If I do it this way, I only see two problems...

1) ALL floor space under the stand would be taken up by the 75 and the 55. There would be a small amount availabe alongside the 55, but that's it. All wiring / ballasts / etc. would have to be stand-mounted somewhere above the sump/refuge. There's an extra 6" of stand (between where the aquarium ends and the wall is), so there's barely room for two 4' tanks end-to-end.

2) There's just about no way to make the stand so that you can service the 75 or 55 (remove them). All repairs and service would HAVE to be done under the stand. The stand is gonna be about 34-36" tall, so there should be plenty of vertical room. I'm gonna have to build a portion of the stand's supports out of 2" material (2x6 maybe?) so that there's width available to put the 75 underneath.

I've water-tested the 75 and 55, both are fine, so that's good at least. I only have $100 and a tube of silicone in both tanks combined!
-Josh Murrah