I need glass cut

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

I need glass cut

Post by snoopdog »

I have two tanks exactly the same with broken glass on the back. It looks to be 1/4" glass. Where can I get this cut cheap and how much am I looking at ? The glass is about what a 10 gallon tank would have in dimensions, maybe shorter.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
reefman8471
Amoeba

Glass Cut

Post by reefman8471 »

You could probably get it done at Metro Glass. They are located at the corner of Demetropolis and Hwy 90 close to Richie's BBQ. I am not sure of the exact price but you could probably get it for no more than $30 to $40 dollars.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I hope it is not that high. I used to get a piece like that cut at Home Depot for $5 back when they cut glass.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
jdmorgan20fan
Amoeba

cut glass

Post by jdmorgan20fan »

Home depot still has a glass cutting place and so does lowes. I have gotten glass cut at lowes abot 3 months ago.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

2-3 years ago I stopped by there and they told me they would not be doing it anymore....heh. I will get some measurements and try.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
jdmorgan20fan
Amoeba

glass cut

Post by jdmorgan20fan »

I have had that problem before. It's called laziness and they don't want to do it. I ran into that at lowes. I asked a guy that worked in that department and he said they don't do it anymore. When leaving I asked a guy and the front desk and he said of course we do it.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Well then that just pisses me off. If I get any slack I will ask to speak to a manager.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I'd go to a glass shop. That way you can just bring the tank in and assure a good fit. 1/4" glass should be cheap, though 10g tanks are even thinner I think.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Well I cannot seem to get the beauty rings of the tanks. They are glued down pretty damn good. I have 2 Aquapods with broken back glass. The 3rd one has broken front and back so it is a total loss. For the price of the tank and the low success of them getting shipped to me I doubt it is worth much effort the replace the broken back. The effort vs cost of the tank is probably not worth the effort. I see me breaking them down to pure glass and the garbage man getting them.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
cecil
Amoeba

Re: I need glass cut

Post by cecil »

Reply:

I have a small shop where I do this sort of repair for friends and neighbors. Perhaps I could be of help. I'm sure I have the glass and you will not find better prices. It's a hobby of mine since my retirement.

To simplify this negotiation just respond to papagator45@yahoo.com and we can communicate directly.

Awaiting Your Reply

Cecil White

snoopdog wrote:I have two tanks exactly the same with broken glass on the back. It looks to be 1/4" glass. Where can I get this cut cheap and how much am I looking at ? The glass is about what a 10 gallon tank would have in dimensions, maybe shorter.
Tom619
Amoeba

Post by Tom619 »

whatever you do, dont try to cut it yourself with those cheap glasscutters. i did it once. it was all fine and dandy, until i woke up the next day to see spider veins!