Bulkheads

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

evermann
Amoeba

Bulkheads

Post by evermann »

OK, I finally got my tank back and everything went fine…For those who don’t know, I had it drilled locally and they drilled the wrong size (1 ½” instead of 1 ¾”). They drilled the same holes (3 of em’) by using the previous ones as pilot holes and they actually look cleaner than the first time….Anyway, I’m curious about attaching the bulkheads…Do you guys silicone them in or just tighten them up as much as you can?
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Where'd you end up getting the 1 3/4" holes drilled?
-Josh Murrah
evermann
Amoeba

Post by evermann »

Where locally or where on the tank? Well locally, was Universal Glass on Springhill, they finally ended up doin a good job, but I wouldnt recommend them because of the price (15.00 per)unless you're in a hurry, they can do it within hours...On the tank, I got 3 drilled in the back a couple inches down from top, pretty much centered them out.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Sweet, yeah, was asking what shop did it.

Just as a note to folks, don't get Rich to do it for you (through Oceanview). Rich has been hanging on to a tank for me for about a month now (maybe longer?), to get it drilled... he's been nice about it, keeping me updated, but he just never gets around to going to Oceanview to have it done.

Mike, did you say Waggytail can get it done in a week or two?
-Josh Murrah
evermann
Amoeba

Re: Bulkheads

Post by evermann »

evermann wrote:Do you guys silicone them in or just tighten them up as much as you can?

Still askin abt the bulkheads themselves..
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I've read a LOT of information that says to not put silicone on them. If you do use sliicone, just use silicone grease, and not caulk. Also make sure the gasket's on the main part of the bulkhead before installing, you can't put it on the "nut" side.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I would also say use silicone grease and not silicon caulk. Silicone caulk would not mess anything up per say but there is no need. The silicone grease will stop salt creep and minor leaks, last forever too.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

FYI, I stopped by Pioneer Pool Supply here in west Mobile (Cottage Hill between Schillingers and Leroy Stevens) and they have 1" bulkheads in stock. They're supposedly "air pressure release" for a spa, but they look just like a 1" bulkhead to me. One thing though, beware that I had one to compare to, it might be kinda hard to explain it w/out a visual aid :) They wanted $8.99 for the one I liked the most.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

This is a link to the ones i use, no picture but standard black bulkhead with slip fit on both ends.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

yeah, I read the "no silicone on the bulkhead" threads too...., but in the end that was the only way I could totally stop the leak....but I got my bulkheads on ebay for cheap too .

I personally like the threaded ones (inner rim) better. that way you can thread the 90 in there for a snug fit

Oh yeah..if you silicone and do use the threaded bulkhead......make sure to get the return 90 lines up before you seal them down. If you screw in the 90 and when it tightens it is facing the bottom of the tank...and your bulkheads are siliconed already..........your screwed. :shock:
Last edited by SaltnLime on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

I could be incoreect here, but I think Charlie cemented ours in place! :roll: I don't think there is any silicon, but that epoxy stuff for plastic! I guess they are there forever.

Elizabeth :)