A Second Opinion

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I've bleached out 2 encrusting monti frags that had come from a tank with a 400w MH. That was with three 24w overdriven bulbs.
BigPumper
Amoeba

Post by BigPumper »

Fishfood wrote:I've bleached out 2 encrusting monti frags that had come from a tank with a 400w MH. That was with three 24w overdriven bulbs.

Maybe, but who's really to say it was your lighting. I highly doubt t5's bleached the montis.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

BigPumper wrote:

Maybe, but who's really to say it was your lighting. I highly doubt t5's bleached the montis.
I can assure you that T5s can and do regularly bleach corals. Take a look at literally hundreds of threads on various reef club forums, RC, etc., that talk about this. I bleached everything of mine when I upgraded from 6-110w VHOs to 6 T5s with good reflectors. For whatever reason, people have more bleaching issues with T5s than halides to begin with.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I agree with Andrew here.. A 660 Icecap ballast running T5's puts out some crazy light when you have the reflectors and high Par bulbs. Nothing does well when first introduced into the tank unless its on the bottom of the tank and some things need to be under an overhang.

If anyone wants to see a nice Acro setup with T5 only there is a guy in Pensacola by the name of Brad. His stuff looks good and he is always selling frags because they are growing very well. He doesn't run a sump either.