Lights I found

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

strout
Copepod

Lights I found

Post by strout »

Will these lights do the trick for mr, was thinking about ordering two?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant ... =hreefstar

150 Watt 10K HQI Reefstar = Low Profile HQI Metal Halide System
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Those would work for a lot of things, though you'd be better off either going with a 250w (or a 175w with a really bright bulb and good reflector) setup or a 6-8 bulb quality T5 fixture or retrofit kit--that is, you'll be better off considering the types of corals you want to keep.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

You would need 3 of those to cover the size tank you have anyway and that would add up. The price of 2 of the most important things in this hobby( lights and skimmer) is just crazy.
BigPumper
Amoeba

Re: Lights I found

Post by BigPumper »

strout wrote:Will these lights do the trick for mr, was thinking about ordering two?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant ... =hreefstar

150 Watt 10K HQI Reefstar = Low Profile HQI Metal Halide System
I don't think you are getting your moneys worth with that kit.... I usually buy all my light stuff from hellolights.com. Here is a 250w Lumenarc Mini Metal Halide Retrofit Kit for 215.00 you have to get the bulb seperately but you get a much better reflector and a decent electronic ballast. I've only used this brand ballast and they seem to keep every thing nice and bright.

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?Pa ... rodID=1491
Attachments
LA-retro.jpg
LA-retro.jpg (24.25 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

This is the E-mail I got from the company today :

Thanks for the email. I checked on this item and it does include the hanging wires. It’s also had some extra sale options, so I’ve reduced the price to 259.95 each from 289.95. Hamilton also has two available upgrades for this unit if you are interested. 2 LED lights for 19.95 and also an electronic ballast upgrade for $30.00. If you are not familiar with the ballast, hqi is non electronic, but most lighting guru’s say hqi will drive the DE bulbs better and more bright but use more electric, where Electronic you might look a little intensity, but save some electric consumption.

I’ve updated everything online, so you can get any of those options now if you want or just order the base model for 259.95 including everything you need to hang and install the unit.

Thank You,
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

They have the same set-up that I posted the link to with a 250w bulb, I know I need three to cover the whole tank but at this time I think I will go with 2 for now, with the plan I have for my LR and coral set-up, most of the corals that will need this light will be towards the sides of the tank, not all the way on the sides but not down the center of that tank, thats the PLAN anyway, lol :roll: .
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Ok, I went to order the lights, the 250w lights, and they are asking me for a choice in bulbs, and I don't know what to say. The choice is 10k DE Bulbs or 14K De bulbs. What should my choice be.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

Well I'm assuming the bulbs are hamilton as well. I've never been a big fan of theirs. Are you going to have actinic bulbs in the tank with the T5s you have? If not you probably want to go with the 14k so you have a bluish tint to it. I don't remember what the 10k Hamilton DE look like anymore but I'm betting its a little yellowish. You are planning on keeping your T5 over the tank aren't you? If not it will be really dark in the middle of the tank with those two over it.

For the price you are spending I'd almost go with the the setup that was posted from Hellolights. I'm not sure of how things are now since I sold my DE MH ballasts a few yrs back but there were more options with the Single Ended bulbs and they cover more of the tank because they use bigger reflectors.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I placed the order 3 lights not two,

Hamilton 150w de hqi rEEFSTAR Pendant System 20k bulbs

I ordered this light because it is low profile, only 3 1/2 inches high, I only have about 8 or 9 inches in my canopy.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I ment 250w