Flow Advice Please

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Neuticle
Copepod

Flow Advice Please

Post by Neuticle »

As my tank matures, my circulation pumps are becoming less capable of keeping detritus stirred. I'd like to figure out a variable flow device that won't break the bank. I currently have a mag 5 return, two Koralia 4's and a MJ1200 on a timer doing 15 min intervals. So far here are my ideas:

1. Surge device - toilet stopper style.

- Pros: dirt cheap to make, a pump, a stopper, and an old bucket should do the trick.
- Cons: Ugly, ghetto, not really capable of producing outlet velocity strong enough to stir up the tank (I think). Also could be a serious problem if the flapper valve fails.

2. 1100-1500gph 12v Bilge pump

- Pros: $50 or so for a decent pump, could use in a "wavebox" style device, fairly easy to DIY a microprocessor controller
- Cons: Loud?, not sure if I can get one with an oil-less shaft/motor, motor not intended for long-term use. Energy consumption?

3. Cheap "wavemaker" controller and a pack of (unmodded*)MJ1200's

- Pros: around 100$, wouldn't have to rig up any hillbilly engineering. Energy usage would likely be the same as two constant MJ1200's, about 40 watts.
- Cons: 4 MJ1200's in my tank would be an eyesore. Fairly weak, possibly need to fabricate venturis to expand jet width.

That's all I've got so far. I'd really like a Tunze 6205, an EcoTech MP40, or a Wavebox, but I've really got more important things to spend $500 on than a pump. Any clever ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

*I recently tried the EcoMod MJ1200, within two weeks it sounded like an electric can-opener, I was not impressed.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Neuticle
Copepod

Re: Flow Advice Please

Post by Neuticle »

I was out mowing the lawn and had another idea:

Find a used ~1000gph pump and put a SCWD right on top of it, I could hide it inside my tank and plumb the outlets to spray from each end of my display. It would be a sort of in-tank closed loop for less than $100 (hopefully).

The 3/4" model is advertised at switching a 720gph stream ever 4 sec, I'd prefer less than 1 sec, but poor folks can't be too picky :D

I think this idea may be a winner, if I can figure out a good way to mount a 1000gph pump in my tank.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Take a look at Borneman's surge devices. They are a lot quieter than typical ones and the bubbles mixed in are relatively minimal. You can't beat that type of water motion with anything. Plus there are lots of safeguards you can use to prevent a disaster if the flapper fails. The real issue is flooding the tank and therefore controlling the volume of the surge.

Something else you might want to check out are the SCWD mods, since they pretty much stop the typically clogging that SCWDs experience and allow more water flow through the device: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/print ... did=843091
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

The toilet flapper surge devices are very cool, if it didn't involve hanging a bucket from my ceiling I would be all about it. Besides the absurdity of a hanging bucket, it would probably be a poor decision to put water above an enormous amount of electronics.