New Skimmer Question

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

strout
Copepod

New Skimmer Question

Post by strout »

I need a new skimmer, I want one for a 300g tank, I have about $500 to spend, what kind do ya'll recomend that I look into buying?
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: New Skimmer Question

Post by Amphiprion »

For a tank of that size, $500 will only get you a low range skimmer, unfortunately. Realistically, I'd look into ~1.5-2x that amount for one that will be fully rated for that tank (note that I didn't just say "rated," since most manufacturers tend to undershoot). As far as bang-for-the-buck, the Reeflo Orca skimmers are difficult to beat. One of those could definitely handle the system well and would be well-sized for that large of a tank. They are cheap for what they can handle and the construction is top-notch.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

Marine solutions has some in that range with the new askoll pump.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

The tank I want will be in the 225g range, so I was figureing on a 300g skimmer. I kinda figured that I would have to spend a few more $$$s than the 500 I was planning. That being said, if you were to spend your money to buy a skimmer for a tank that size, what would you buy??
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

That would be a good one, but check out MSX first, they modify the Octopus series and make some nice improvements. The MSX 300 is identical to the Octo X 300 you're looking at but it has a single Askoll pump instead of two Sicce.

I have an Octo X 200, and it works great, except for restart issues with the Sicce pump. If my skimmer had a bigger neck I'd upgrade to the Askoll myself.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Babyreef
Amoeba

Post by Babyreef »

Not sure if your still looking for a skimmer but if so this might be of interest to you.
https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/pro ... cts_id=687
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

If you are still looking into purchasing a skimmer I have this one:
http://www.reefmania.net/ps8.php

It is used and I haven't used it in a few years.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.