Calcium Management for newbies

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Crustman
Amoeba

Calcium Management for newbies

Post by Crustman »

I have had so much success with this Kalk stirrer that I am recommending it. Calcium addition has never been easier for me and my water quality parameters as tested by Progressive are nearly perfect. Alton gave me an A- for the grade. My calcium is at 470 and clams and corals love this. All top off water goes through the stirrer and is automated by a JBJ ATO with a small pump in a 10 gallon aquarium that is filled with RO. 1/2 cup of Calcium hydroxide is added about every 2 weeks and the old stuff is dumped out. The little motor stirs a paddle that mixes this. You have 3 choices for calcium, 2 part, calcium reactor or kalk. I choose kalk. Good luck.
strout
Copepod

Re: Calcium Management for newbies

Post by strout »

I am going to ask a dumb question here, will this take the place of a calcium reactor? If I am understanding this right, it will. What are the pros and cons of using this instead of a CO2 calcium reactor, other than price? You say you run your top off water thru this and then I am guessing that it comes out of the machine thru a tube and drains into your sump. How do you control how much of the calcium mixture comes out of the machine so that you don't over dose? I know its alot of questions, if you don't have the time to answer them, I understand.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I have been doing alittle reasearch on this as I know that I need one, lol. Anyway I know that GSA makes a good product and went to bulk reef supply to see how much they were. I guess that BRS dosn't sell GSA but they do sell this one http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/pro ... -1000.html
They pretty much say that this is a better mouse trap, I tried to find some reviews on this Kalk reactor but couldn't find any. Anyone know anything about this or have any input?
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Crustman, I also ment to ask you, in front of your Kalk reactor are two filters of some sort, what are they?
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

It's part of the Lifeguard aquatics modular system. They have different modules for heater, UV, mechanical, etc filtration systems.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.