Help me plan my sump/fuge and other essentials please.

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

opiy
Amoeba

Help me plan my sump/fuge and other essentials please.

Post by opiy »

I know I want to try and go external with pumps and skimmer. I have a hard time deciding on what skimmer and now I think I may go with the Reef Oct XP-2000 Cone Ext. I want to try and eliminate hands in the water as much as possible. I want to get pumps out of the water also. I don't know what size tank I need under the stand with a 120g display. I know it needs to be large enough that it can handle the backflow if the power goes out. What are some good external pumps?

I was thinking of running some pipes through the wall into the laundry room and having a large refugium or frag tank or both or something back there with a return going back to the tank. The hole in the wall would have to stay at the size it is now. The size of a standard electrical box opening. That will give a 2 1/2 x 3 1/3" opening. I might could just overflow through the wall into a sump, down into a largeish refugium, and then out through an external pump back to the display?

This may or may not work out with the through the wall thing so if not I may have to do the typical sump/fuge under the stand thing which is fine also. I just like the idea of the through the wall because things are very easy to get to. Maybe I can do something with SketchUp but I am terribly slow with that program.
Larry
My build thread http://tiny.cc/JYzXJ
Slowly building up my equpiment.
Rule of Coral Shopping: If you don't buy it when your see it, it will not be there when you come back.
opiy
Amoeba

Re: Help me plan my sump/fuge and other essentials please.

Post by opiy »

I think I am going to squash the external thing to go with simplicity. Something I didn't take into consideration is there is more plumbing and more chance of leaks or something to go wrong. I want simple. Now I still need to figure out what I want to do as far as refugium and and sump. I need to find some good pictures.
Larry
My build thread http://tiny.cc/JYzXJ
Slowly building up my equpiment.
Rule of Coral Shopping: If you don't buy it when your see it, it will not be there when you come back.
strout
Copepod

Re: Help me plan my sump/fuge and other essentials please.

Post by strout »

I like internal myself because of the leak issue. I would love to be able to put all of my equipment in another room instead of under the tank. If you can do that, I would, makes it easier on the back, but then again, I am getting old so things like that make it easier on me.