My new sump

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

ray803
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

My new sump

Post by ray803 »

This is the first sump that I have used on my set up. I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to set it up. Should I have some sort of carbon filtration in it? What is the best and most economical way to set this up for a 75 gallon reef? Should I use a canister filter as well? I know that I need a protein skimmer but don't know about much else. Any advice/help would be appreciated.
Innerarity Reefs
Copepod

Re: My new sump

Post by Innerarity Reefs »

Heres some pics of my sumps, every sump Ive made has been identical design.

Its pretty simple, its best to know what skimmer youre going to use though so you know how big to make the first compartment. I basically divide my sumps into three sections the first being the drain/skimmer section the first baffle is lets say 10 inches, the next compartment (after that 10" baffle) is the fuge, the three more baffles 9" first one siliconed resting on the bottom, then the middle gets raised up and inch, and the next one is back on the bottom again (this keeps bubbles from re entering the display. Oh and I make those 3 baffles roughly an inch apart. I like to stick the heater(s) in the bubble trap, because water has to pass by it. If the heater sits in any other section it may not be as useful. Oh and make sure the return section is big enough that you dont have to top off daily. The bigger the better, unless youre going to use an ATO.

Oh and some people swap the compartments around Teeing off your drain to compartment 1 and 3, with compartment 2 being the return section ( so you can regulate flow through the fuge. but Ive never had any issues running with my setups.

LMK if you need any pointers
ray803
Amoeba

Post by ray803 »

This is awesome thanks. Could you explain to me what a fuge is and what it's used for. Thanks again.
ray803
Amoeba

Post by ray803 »

I meant what is the best substrate to use in the fuge. Should I use bio balls, sand, live rock or all of them? Where is the best place to get the dividers at?
Innerarity Reefs
Copepod

Dividers are glass, pretty much anywhere. You can use plexiglass or acrylic however it doesnt hold well siliconed to glass. The fuge normally can have a sand bed, cheato, LR, or any combo of those. I recommend a power head in the section if you use live rock and no sand ( it will keep the detritus stirred up, detritus sitting raises nitrates.)
ray803
Amoeba

Post by ray803 »

How thick should the glass for the dividers be?
Innerarity Reefs
Copepod

Well, Ive always used 1/4 but thats been in my 75g sumps, if youre using a 29, 30, or a 20long, you can get away with 1/8