Ecotech MP10

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Babyreef
Amoeba

Ecotech MP10

Post by Babyreef »

After seeing one of these vortech prop pumps in action in another reefers tank I decided stop messing around and get one. Well just installed it today :D . Put the MP10 in my 29 bio cube, this thing is no joke. Lots of water flow all over the tank. :D
Babyreef
Amoeba

Re: Ecotech MP10

Post by Babyreef »

Got a little crazy just installed my second one tonight. I have them running reefcrest full tilt in anti-sync mode..... WOW Insane flow now!
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

So where would you suggest placing one of these in a tank. Its a 36 by 18 tank. I have a tunze nanostream on each side of the tank. I could put the mp10 in the center back, or I could put it on one side and remove one of the modified nanostreams, or keep both.

I can't believe I just bought one of these...
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Locating it in the center is good for all around flow. Any wave settings are better with the pump at any longer side.

I have an Mp40 on my seagrass system and Ive been mostly happy with it.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

So if i put it in the center on the back of the tank should i keep both of the tunze nanostreams on the side. They are on the back of the sides pointing front center.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Yes, I would hold onto the Tunzes and leave them where they are. If you want any of the wave modes active, there won't be as impressive a result, though it can still create waves. As far as positioning the Tunzes relative to the Vortech, you'll have to play with it a bit. It will also depend on the settings, of course.
Andrew

Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

So are you saying it could be useless as far as what it can do in my tank(unless I eventually get another one) and I would have been better off getting another nanostream?
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Fishfood wrote:So are you saying it could be useless as far as what it can do in my tank(unless I eventually get another one) and I would have been better off getting another nanostream?
Not useless, but the waves are easier to make more pronounced from the ends. That is one limitation my 25g cube imposes on my MP40. The equal dimensions don't allow for enough wavelength. So, if mounting in the center, wave effects will not be as apparent.
Andrew

Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Since I've never seen one of these in action can you tell me how a tunze might impact it if I mount the mp10 on one side and then put a tunze on the back and opposite side? I'm sure they will mess up any wave motion.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

If the Tunze was directly opposing the flow of the Vortech, then you'd have trouble creating a wave. As long as that isn't the case, I don't think you'll have a problem. At one point, I had a nanostream and the Vortech when the grass was at its thickest and it had no problems making at least some waves. That was all in the confines of the 18x18x18 cube. The wave isn't great in this tank, even at its best, due to the shape, but it was definitely still visible.
Andrew

Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I'd probably put the mp10 on the right side. One tunze would be in the back left corner mounted on the left pane of glass angled to the front center. The other would probably be just on the right side of the overflow which sits off-center to the left. This one would also have to flow towards the right front of the tank so it wouldn't quite be perpendicular of the mp10. The return doesn't count because it is so weak and i have it return to the back right of the tank. I'll have to play with it once i get it.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

So I'm going to sell this mp10 for $170. I put it in the tank for a little and it made the water move. My problem is the AC unit flooded part of the house on Thursday night and I have to replace about $700 worth of flooring. I can't justify keeping it. It is used and is still under warranty. If I don't get any interest in this thread I'll post something in the buy/sell forum.
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

I may be if I can get the funds together. Will let you know ASAP.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Let me know. I know I can put it back up on RC and sell it in a few minutes. The guy I got it from had a line of people behind me. I figured I'd keep it local it at all possible.
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

PM sent
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails