mag24 (submersed) vibration pad?

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

ShagMan
Goby

mag24 (submersed) vibration pad?

Post by ShagMan »

OK, got the two mag24's in today, that are gonna power the 240G's two return spray bars..... for now, I just threw them into the 240G, which has nothing in it but saltwater (bare bottom). WOW, these things pump a LOT of water, and WOW they're loud. I'm guessing that most of the noise is from them running right on the glass bottom...

The question is: what do you guys use for a shock pad or vibration dampener for these, keeping in mind they're submersed in a sump?
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I would think some type of sponge. If you have them running with tubing and not hard plumbed that will take out alot. Either a hunk on rubber or a thin sponge will be your best bet.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I was thinking about using a little Rubbermaid container with holes cut in it for my Mag 12. Not sure how it will work though, but I am going to try it.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Cheap mousepads
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

super glue some old suction cups to the side that is resting on the glass. It might work, just a suggestions.

John
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

The suction cup thing works, did that on my 29 gallon.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I dunno what the deal is, but these things are LOUD, as in, VERY loud...... are mag pumps, with no plumbing attached, supposed to be loud? I'm thinking all the water turbulence coming out of the output, full blast (2400 GPH each), must be causing it.... they're just as loud if I hold them by hand in the water, not touching anything. They almost sounds like they have air in them. Tell you what, it's tough to actually hold one, weighs 10 lbs. each, and have a TON of force from all the water it's shooting.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yes that is normal on a mag pump, the mag 12 is very loud. The mag 24 is a new model pump so i can imagine that it is twice as loud.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Are they still loud after they're plumbed in, or just loud when they're "loose" with no head pressure? I'm thinking it's almost like they're in overdrive with no head pressure, and making lots of noise because of that. I know that Terry runs a mag 24 and a mag 18, and they're both quiet as can be.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

The mag 12 is not "horrible" on noise when hooked up with pressure. I ran one for a year in the 75 gallon submersed in a sump and it was tolerable.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I tried this, and it didn't help... I think the pumps just need some head pressure to quieten them.
Attachments
IMG_0369-small.JPG
IMG_0369-small.JPG (41.49 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Probably so, not backpressure so they are at full blast.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
evermann
Amoeba

Post by evermann »

Now das a big mag pump!!!
How much for de women? *twack*
Ahh, your kung-fu is strong...
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

If all your piping is in place, pop them in the sump and hook them up.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Well, the water level isn't up to the top because I'm allowing for sand and rock still.... gonna put the sand in tomorrow, and then hook in the flex pipe. 1" braided vinyl clear pipe is $2+ per foot!! Anyway, I'll know something more later this coming week.
-Josh Murrah