Tetra LED24

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

ray803
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Tetra LED24

Post by ray803 »

Anyone have any opinions on the Tetra LED 24 bulb lights (16 watts) for a 10gal set up? Should I use it or the 13 watt blue/ white light I have?
29nanomob
Copepod

Re: Tetra LED24

Post by 29nanomob »

is this a left over part off something? i looked it up on google and got nothing. im looking into adding more led's to my tank for shimmer. ebay has led strips for 5.00 free shipping that will support a tank 2blue and 2white was my plan
reefing just isnt the same living outside the glass....
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Be careful with the eBay ones. Most of them, despite what is mentioned, don't have the kind of intensity to support much. $5 for any decent LED seems a bit dubious to me, though.

I'm also unfamiliar with the Tetra LEDs. Are you referring to the company "Tetra" or GE's LED strip line?
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
ray803
Amoeba

Post by ray803 »

The company tetra. I came in a set up package for a 10 gal half moon set.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Wow, the website doesn't have much to say about it, other than low-wattage, which is a given in most cases. I'd bet they are either 0.5 or 1 watt LEDs, which would limit quite a few things if you were to use it--especially if there are no optics. What I consider to be the bare minimum for LEDs are something like Marineland's "Reef Capable" LED fixture, which still pushes the limit somewhat. Then again, it is a reasonable alternative to some of the more overpriced options out there. If you really want to try to keep anything more demanding, you may want to look into some of the stuff on nanotuners or rapidLED (the latter more so if you'd like to do something yourself). Or you could spring for one of the PAR38-style LED lamps, which have the drivers and heatsinks built-in and conveniently screws into a standard fixture. Those are pricey, but still cheaper than many other options and they happen to be fairly decent, as well.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium