lil help, me thinks theres a leak ;(

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

evermann
Amoeba

lil help, me thinks theres a leak ;(

Post by evermann »

Hiya crew…Looking like a setback... I came home yest. and started messing around with my canopy and noticed at the bottom of my tank, there seemed to be an accumulation of water in the seem between the tank and the stand, not enough to drip, but enough to notice….I have tested the area by drying the seem with the edge of a paper towel and coming back sev hour later and the seem was saturated again. Like I said, it wasn’t enough to drip off or even pool up, but enough to make me want to fix it….I would assume it’s a small leak in the bottom seal somewhere and may get a better idea if I can look under it…So I plan on emptying it and drying it and resealing the bottom, I have all the containers and ph’s I need to keep everthing for a couple days …Better now that all I have are some snails, LR, eme’s and an a** load of sand then later…So my question is, does anyone have and sugg’s for me b4 I start this….Is there a specific type if silicone I should use? How long should I wait for it to dry? Should I just glob it on heavy since its going to be covered by sand?....Any info, sugg’s, trick’s or link’s would be helpful…I will prob try to knock it out this weekend…thnks in advance..
-Chad
How much for de women? *twack*
Ahh, your kung-fu is strong...
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I just resealed my overflow and some baffles in my sump. I asked the lfs what they use and he said just 100% silicon from home depot or lowes. I just put it on like you would around a sink or door or whatever. Tim at aquaworks said manufactures suggest 10 to 12 days for it to dry, but thats in redoing an entire tank. If it is a little leak a day or two should be fine i would think.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

for silicone to completely cure, it takes a week, do not put water in the tank for a week or the seal will rip, i promise, delt with it to many times