MH HQI question

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

bluwtr
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

MH HQI question

Post by bluwtr »

Since I have basically pieced together my lighting, I run 2 250HQI MH and two T5's. I am trying to redo my lights so I can have more room under my canopy to get my hands in my tank. I know that HQI bulbs use the glass shield to block UV light for protecion. I want to know if there would be any damaging effects to my coral and fish if I remove the glass. Since the lights are in the canopy the UV light is blocked from the room. Granted, I would run the risk of exposure with my arm in the tank or when I open the front for a few minutes, but other than that what are everyone's thoughts.

Thanks for the input.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: MH HQI question

Post by Amphiprion »

I haven't done it personally, but I've heard horror stories from those that have, purposefully or not. Andy on these forums had a single-ended lamp that cracked and immediately started causing problems.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Yeah, splashing water is a very mild concern because the way my system is set up, I basically never have to clean the glass. My biggest concern is the UV light entering the tank. I was wondering if it would affect the corals. I know that water blocks UV after a certain depth, but that wouldn't be achieved in a tank, however corals do grow at the very surface on some reefs and are also exposed during low tides. Maybe I'm just trying to chase a pipe dream to make more room. :?
Wes

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

It'd be nice, if only to also get some extra intensity out of the lamps, since the glass attenuates some of it. I honestly thought about it myself, but I've heard of too many people having problems from the UV radiation. I mean, you get some regardless with MH, even with the glass, but I'm not terribly sure if it would be a good idea to increase the overall amount of incident UV light at once by just removing it.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
rich850
Amoeba

Post by rich850 »

I am a little late on this one but the shield is there for a reason on de metal halides because it is supposed to be there you will burn up your tank otherwise
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

I'm late on replying as well. The glass actually blocks UV from the user, not the tank. Water blocks UV but only after a certain depth so that was my question actually; I don't remember how deep. I think the splashing is the more important aspect of safety here so it looks like I will have to hit the drawing board more. Damn. :(
Wes