Canopy lighting for reef tank

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

caymanada
Amoeba

Canopy lighting for reef tank

Post by caymanada »

Looking for suggestions - I have a 100 gal (60 x 18 x 20) tank that was setup for freshwater, but I am thinking about setting it up as a reef tank. The biggest concern that I have is lighting. I want to mount the lighting in the wooden canopy that matches the stand. What type of lighting (MH, LED, T5, etc.) is best for mounting in the canopy on a reef tank? Brand? Wattage? Wavelength/color? Anybody out there with a similar setup?
rich850
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: Canopy lighting for reef tank

Post by rich850 »

There is not really a right answer to this question its based on opinion I have grown coral under a 6 bulb t 5 ATI fixture I had pretty good results I tried a couple led fixtures I have grown coral under metal halides I have seen more sps growth with metal halides I think LEDs have great color options I am pretty set on a combo of metal halides and LEDs but I have to say I have not seen a tank of the month on reefcentral with LEDs yet but I have seen a zoanthid dominate tank with LEDs but all this being said when it comes to metal halides as long as you get a good reflector with a bulb of your liking you are good to go ...with t5s I think you should go with an ATI fixture they are more expensive but you get what you pay for...with LEDs I am impressed by ecotechs product and with the DIY LEDs I haven't been impressed with other fixtures you really get what you pay for with lighting I bought used electronic ballasts for my halides some magnetic ballasts are great I just can't afford the power hope this helps
caymanada
Amoeba

Post by caymanada »

Thank you for your opinion/advice. Is there a potential problem of putting halides in a canopy and the heat getting too much...or is that just my misconception? Regardless of the type of lighting, any particular combination of colors (i.e. - actinic, 10K, 12K, 14K, 20K, etc.) work best? I have to say, the Ecotechs attention to PAR distribution is the thing that most impresses me about them. I haven't found another brand that can compare to it.
rich850
Amoeba

Post by rich850 »

I run halides in my canopy ...heat can always be combated with fans or a chiller depending on what your house temperature is if you were going with radions you would probably need 4 of them they say they cover a 30 in spread but I am going off of what I have seen not the sales pitch as far as metal halides I am running 14k bulbs and adding LEDs to get the color I want but the 20k bulbs produce a nice color as a stand alone bulb
wodom86
Amoeba

Post by wodom86 »

on my 120 i found screws that fit where the radion hanging kit screw into the radion, then i drilled holes in the top in the right spot. ran the bolts through the canopy attached radions :) now you cant tell i have them attached... and if you want to angle them just add a few washers to the direction you wish to angle them. hope this helps... ill post a picture of my canopy with the doors open later