Anyone Running Halides in the mid range between 10k-20k?

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brandon
Chromis

Anyone Running Halides in the mid range between 10k-20k?

Post by Brandon »

I'm interested if anyone is running any of the mid bulbs that are out now in the 12, 13, 14, 15k regions? Not as blue as the radiums, but definetly a bluish tint. I'm gonna order some more bulbs this week.. but have not decided what to go with. I have tried the Sunburst 12k , I love the color but they seem kinda dim.

I'm thinking of going with the XM 14K's. I think I can get those for like $45/ea.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Fishfood is running 13k DE bulbs. Here is a link to some bulb tests. The XM 15k looks pretty good.
http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I did a search on reefcentral for coralvue... Looks like everyone loves the coralvue 10k. I'm running standard ballast though and not electronic. I would hate to dump these and spend another 375 to switch to electronic.
Per JBNY's comparison... It is showing a par rating of 330 for the CV10K and 612 for the XM10K. That is a lot of difference. I don't suppose I should care too much as I am not mainly sps & clams. I'm just really hating the iwasakis and the browning out of corals.
The SUN10k's have a PAR of 520 and I think they are $40'ish also on ebay.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I'm looking at XM 10k's for my first change-out... the Ushio 10k's are too yellowy... XM 20k's are VERY VERY blue... as far as I know there are no XM 15K's in a 250w SE bulb.

Honestly, my wife and I like our tank best with just the VHO's on (320w white, 320w 50/50 white/actinic).... however I know that won't sustain coral growth by itself, and from what I've read, won't penetrate to the bottom of the tank either.
-Josh Murrah
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I have the 13k geisemann DE bulb. I like the color. It is still shifting though. I also have a 20k xm over my 26gal tank. I don't like the look of it and want to change it to a 13k bulb. I like that range of color. I was running a ushio before i got the DE pendants. I thought it was a good color then but now i see that it is just too yellow also, after putting in the geisemann bulbs. I think i'm going to buy a 10-15(whatever they sell)coralvue bulb to replace that 20k xm bulb i have. I've seen the thread that scott was talking about and most people have good things to say about them.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Fishfood , What ballast are you using with the AB?
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I don't have an AB. I was using one and it was on an electric ARO ballast. Then I switched to the Ushio when that one died. I'm now using the Geisemann DE bulbs on an ARO ballast.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

ShagMan wrote:as far as I know there are no XM 15K's in a 250w SE bulb.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Yep, but that's not a XM bulb is it :)
-Josh Murrah
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I think I was thinking Coralvue and you were saying XM. I have heard that XM bulbs may have some longevity issues.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I've read that also Scott.. Looks like both the Coralvue and the XM's are made in china. I'm buying 2 of the the Sun Aquatics (Also Chinese Manufactured) bulbs the 10k and 14k to see what they look like. They are $40 shipped so that's not too bad of a gamble.

PS: Scott if you will send me your address I will send this 12k bulb to you.. I forgot it for the meeting.