Progressive Marine

Saw a nice frag for a great price ? Let us know so we can buy it first !

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

His dry goods stock has improved in 6 months, much better than it used to be.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Dys.. We were there yesterday, I looked over the live rock tank carefully and didn't see the same infestations as the other tanks.. But if you bought a coral or something out of one of the other tanks, I'd suggest a fresh water dip or a dip in mixed flatworm exit. I really wish he'd do something about the planaria infestation, he's just gotten that not too long back. Not sure what he can do except break everything down and start over? I'm not afraid of aptasia, I can nuke those, it's the flatworms that scare the heck out of me.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Dys
Amoeba

rock

Post by Dys »

yeah it was fresh I can say that... I did bring it home soaked it in a high salinty bucket for a bit and now sitting in a empty 10gal tank i got about 4 inches off the sand. got 2 worms out in the bucket, so far nothing in the tank.

it was a piece from his rock tank.

Thanks
I'll respect you in the morning, but I won't wake up till noon.
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

Brandon, Jason and I went to Progressive Marine last night and paid Rich a visit. I brought some post-it's with me and wrote prices down as he said them to me and made sure he saw me doing it.

I picked up 2 rocks with some nice ricordia on them, one is a bright pink and has some screaming pink sponge on the rock, one has two ricrodia polyps on it that are tan with a blue rim around them, 30 bucks for all 3. We got a beautiful Tang that we observed eating, he's nice and fat, very pretty. In looking at fish prices online, considering his size, we got him at a really good price. We also got a cleaner wrasse too to put in the big tank.

When I called him to find out if he was going to be there, he told me he had a goby/pistol shrimp combo he'd sell me. So we checked him out and this is what we got:

Image Image

That's a Yasha Hashe Goby and his buddy a Randall's Pistol Shrimp. WONDERFUL price for the two of them. Those two are in my nano with all my new pretty ricordia.

He treated us right, we got all of our stuff for under what he said he'd sell it to us for on the phone and in the store.

Cheers....(more pics of my tank once those two get settled...)
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Great Buys!!!! Love the pistol shrimp/goby combo. I have never seen it in real life. Can't wait to see how they interact with one another. Guess Rich is bettering his business practices and prices, besides the planaria issue.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Only problem with the combo is they make a horrible mess in the tank if your sand is too fine. I will never do another pistol unless i have coarse sand. I still have a pistol in my sump.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

It's just a 10 gallon, so maybe they won't mess things up to bad. They are TINY. We watched the shrimp when we put him in there, and his little legs were kicking for all his worth, but he wasn't getting anywhere with the digging. Maybe he'll have to get a little bigger before he can dig some decent holes.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Just wanted to mention that I had a mag24 pump go out and Rich sold it to me less than I could have gotten it on-line with no shipping and tax was included.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I have heard from a few people that his prices were getting better. Last time I was there he had quite a few nano sps colonies that started at $30.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

His prices on softies are actually pretty decent, I've bought a few from him over the past few months.
-Josh Murrah
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Just to post that when he went on vacation he had a pump go out and lost a few acros....(pump was only in one section of the shop). He has taken a loss on them so might take a week or so to catch back up on the acros. This is not really a post on his loss but if anyone decides to go on vacation please have someone to ck on your reef and give them some numbers to call.. I had a pump go out last wk and if I had not been here it would have happened to me. .... It could happen to you too....have someone with numbers to ck on you tank everyday for your own good...
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Bought two tangs from Rich today, he was very friendly, remembered my tank size, asked how everything was... and gave the "good prices" the first time, no haggling required... I was very happy with the experience.
-Josh Murrah
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I have been dealing with rich for about 5 or so years and he has been good to me on most of the thing that I have bought, but the only complaint that I have is that it is very hard to catch him when he is at home to buy something.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

It's best to call his shop and cell phone to set up a time he will be there.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I have been there twice this week and that is exactly what i did. I called him to see what his maintenance schedule looked like and popped in. He had some really tiny electronic halide ballast when i was there. The were very cool looking and had fans built in, i was most impressed how small they were.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.