Fat Fish

Saw a nice frag for a great price ? Let us know so we can buy it first !

Moderator: snoopdog

tanker stanker
Amoeba

Fat Fish

Post by tanker stanker »

Well, there's a new Aquarium shop in Daphne now and I stopped by there a little while ago and checked it out. I talked to the owner and his wife and found out it was Dys that opened the shop. He said he'd just opened his doors yesterday and was waiting for more live rock to come in. I am anxious to see how he'll do. He had some nice fish in there and I'll probably stop by there some more after a while to see what else comes in...
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Where is it? Are they gonna do fresh and salt stuff? I've been hoping someone would open a place there.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Yeah, you just gonna keep us hanging. We definetly need more information on this.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I went by there the night they were suppose to open, but they had not opened yet. We did get to go in a see the shop. They were still unpacking the fist fish shipments, but the owners wife (whos name escapes me right now) was happy to let us in and check the place out.

The shop setup is pretty small, with the fish area not being much bigger than Rich's garage setup, and that included both fresh and salt water.

They had a decent selection of common soft and lps corals, what you would expect just opening up, but they all appeared to have arrived pretty healthy with nice coloration. Way better than B&B and waggy tail. It appeared they got a pretty good supplier. They had a few nice little naso tangs that caught my eye, but could not give me a price at the time, so no idea on live stock prices, but I will go back tomorrow and check that out.

The dry good selection looked pretty good for a small shop, and included the basics . I did not look around too much, but what I saw marked, prices appeared pretty high, about equivalent to B&B prices. I think a 200 gallon bucket of oceanic was about $65.00 for instance. They did say they were going to carry salifert test kits ( but not in stock now), they had cyclop-eeze too.

Rich said there was another shop down the road from them that just opened up too. Will try there tomorrow.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Where is it located at???? :shock:
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

If I remember right, it is in that little strip office complex on the hill just south of McDonalds in Daphne. There is a turn past the waffle house that is a side road that goes up the hill to the office complex. The shop faces that road that runs parallel to hwy 98 (old daphne hwy I think) so if coming from that direction you will have to drive around to the back of the buildings. I am sure someone can give you better directions though.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I went there too Brandon. It right near the bzzzzzzztttttttt........your breaking up bbbzzzttttttttt.....crackle.......pop......I can't hear you .........are you there.......

Just kidding. I think these guys are f-ing with you.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

:P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

You just have no idea how bad I am jonesing for a new coral! :)

I was pretty down after the move I lost a lot of what little I have and then Ivan<..grr> , but things are starting to look really good in my tank now, color is coming back in the brown sticks.. I'm on the verge of spending entirely too much money and ordering some nice stuff.. :twisted:
Dys
Amoeba

Post by Dys »

A few different ways to reach the location, such as instead of turning right to go to waggy tail, ya turn left and go in front of the dollar tree and go up past the Circle K and its on the left.... Coming from mobile an easy way is to not thake the exit for fairhope/spanish fort but the one just past the over pass go straight across at the light and then turn right (left takes you into the Shopping complex, Rave Theater/old Dillards etc..), this road runs you up Main street and it is on the right, just before the 2 lanes turns back into 1 lane.

New Lake Forest Animal Clinic is across the street, Bay House Pub's front door is 20 feet from my back door.

Hope one of these directions help. If not address is below.

28851 N. Main St,
Daphne, Alabama 36526

Size of the shop is 1200 square feet, with 800sqft+ used for tanks, 8x 40g and 6x 20g tanks for saltwater fish, 4x 40g and 6 20g for fresh and 2 45's for corals and 1 55 for rock. Will add, replace, changeover tanks as the need arises.

As far as pricing... hate to say it all the stores in the area, mobile, Pensacola, foley Daphe all buy from the same wholesalers, so pricing will be some what close. I am trying to do what I can to keep prices lower the best I can and might even offer cash incentive.

Oceanic salt 200G is marked $65 but if you ask you will get it for $55 (including tax if paying via cash).

I am hoping soon to be able to do a Frag Friday or some type of thing, still trying to get a good supply of decent sized and wide variety of just frags. We shall see.
I'll respect you in the morning, but I won't wake up till noon.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Re: location

Post by SaltnLime »

Dys wrote:A few different ways to reach the location, such as instead of turning right to go to waggy tail, ya turn left and go in front of the dollar tree and go up past the Circle K and its on the left.... Coming from mobile an easy way is to not thake the exit for fairhope/spanish fort but the one just past the over pass go straight across at the light and then turn right (left takes you into the Shopping complex, Rave Theater/old Dillards etc..), this road runs you up Main street and it is on the right, just before the 2 lanes turns back into 1 lane.

New Lake Forest Animal Clinic is across the street, Bay House Pub's front door is 20 feet from my back door.

Hope one of these directions help. If not address is below.

28851 N. Main St,
Daphne, Alabama 36526

I knew someone could give better directions :P

Size of the shop is 1200 square feet, with 800sqft+ used for tanks, 8x 40g and 6x 20g tanks for saltwater fish, 4x 40g and 6 20g for fresh and 2 45's for corals and 1 55 for rock. Will add, replace, changeover tanks as the need arises.

seemed a bit smaller, but there was alot of boxes and stuff all over. Are you going to have a dedicated frag and display tank?

As far as pricing... hate to say it all the stores in the area, mobile, Pensacola, foley Daphe all buy from the same wholesalers, so pricing will be some what close. I am trying to do what I can to keep prices lower the best I can and might even offer cash incentive.

Ok, my 10 second rant here, having just visited most all the shops in our area including pensacola in the last week....Amazingly, there are huge swings in prices in stores from those areas you mentioned. As a consumer it is frustrating, but as a business person I understand, even if I don't agree. It would be good, for once, to have a store that sold stuff for what they were willing to pay as a hobbiest (a worth based on research and reason), not for what they think they can get someone to pay. Believe me, I understand overhead and mark up, but the mark up on many local reef items is rediculous to experienced hobbiest, and a down right kick in the yahoos (from behind) to the poor sap who is new to the hobby, and does not do his research. (That is not a negative remark directed toward you Dys, I have no idea where your prices fall, or what your pricing will be based on.) This is just my opinion of the "caveat emptor" attitude that all new reefer's must obtain to not get bent over by huge pricing differences in local shops.) If a dealer cannot get a product wholesale at a price that allows resell to be reasonable, then that may not be the product to carry.

Oceanic salt 200G is marked $65 but if you ask you will get it for $55 (including tax if paying via cash).

Not to complain about the price cut, but why not just mark it $55 then :?:

I am hoping soon to be able to do a Frag Friday or some type of thing, still trying to get a good supply of decent sized and wide variety of just frags. We shall see.
I have yet to see this in our local area, but have always thought it would be a hit. Can't wait to see it all up and running. See ya round the tang tank!
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I think some of the pricing is "suggested retail" that is suggested by the manufacturer. Just like the Kent Nautilus TE skimmer at B&B for ~$250 when you can buy them new on the internet for $156. One of the aqdditional things a retailer should be aware of is the quality products. Some just carry what is least expensive and pawn it off as a quality product to the uneducated newcomer. I have been wrongly informed about a Skilter as I know many others have. For the price I paid for the skilter I would have purchased a decent skimmer at online prices.
Dys
Amoeba

Post by Dys »

SaltnLime:
as for pricing, for the most part I see prices the same, handful of Pens locations, have lower prices on one thing and higher on another (dry goods). in part those that do have higher prices normally have much more overhead.
As for the price on the salt, my retail price will be $65, but have it on sale for $55 (just hadnt had time to put a sign up since we only opened yesterday :) Obviously I will give breaks to repeat customers as why would I want to cut off the hand that feeds me.

Scott I will tell ya something, the Nautilas TE is sold online for $5 above cost at $156. I cant even attempt to compete with online retailers for 99% of items and expect to stay in business.
I'll respect you in the morning, but I won't wake up till noon.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Dys wrote: I cant even attempt to compete with online retailers for 99% of items and expect to stay in business.

I wouldn't expect you to. But with shipping, hassles associated with shipping and getting it in two weeks as opposed to right away there is a reasonable price that couldbe charged and gain more customers that are online buyers. Not almost twice as much as online pricing.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Dys wrote:SaltnLime:
as for pricing, for the most part I see prices the same, handful of Pens locations, have lower prices on one thing and higher on another (dry goods). in part those that do have higher prices normally have much more overhead.
Well, I guess we just dissagree there. Price gouging is one of the main things aquarist complain about with our local stores. I certainly do not mean that supply and demand cannot set it's own ticket, so if you are open 24/7 like cirlce k , or carry "exotic premium" corals like Reefer Madness and others then there is ample reason for your prices to reflect this.

However some stores charge exorbant prices on high dollar items, as Scott stated...almost twice wholesale/online prices on dry goods even when they are over 100 bucks. The market (consumers) usually allow for a double or even triple on markup of items under 5 dollars wholesale. Once you have items ranging from 5 to a couple of ten dollar bills you might doubled you wholesale price to get average retail. Anything over that and you should scale down your retail profits..... with items over 150.00 having very little markup. Of course that is an OPINION and I certainly am not trying to tell you how to run your business.

The problem I see with most retailers is they hold to the rule of thumb of double and triple wholesale throughout the price structure, and it becomes impossible to support them.... and while people online order that big skimmer or wavemaker, they go ahead and pick up food, a powerhead and some carbon too. Thus taking potential higher profit sales from the retailer. Another issue is there is an average net margin of 35-45% between distributors and retailers. So in summary retailers must price shop just like consumers. I expect to pay 6 bucks for the damsel you pay 1.50-2.00 for (3-400% mark up), but not 60.00 for a tang you pay 19.99 for (200% mark up). Certianly not 300 bucks for a skimmer you pay $150 for. So high end items you net profit may well fall below 50%. The actuall non-sale local store price responces range from... "Hmm, I'd rather have it now, and I like this store so I'll pay that price" , to..... "You gotta be smokin crack!" That is just my experience on the matter though.

I will be the first to say I would rather pay a few more bucks and support a quality local store, and I admittedly will pay a few benjamins just to get a frag of that " must have" coral. It's not about being the cheapest, it's about bieng reasonalbe and offering something noone else does.

As for the price on the salt, my retail price will be $65, but have it on sale for $55 (just hadnt had time to put a sign up since we only opened yesterday :) Obviously I will give breaks to repeat customers as why would I want to cut off the hand that feeds me.

Scott I will tell ya something, the Nautilas TE is sold online for $5 above cost at $156. I cant even attempt to compete with online retailers for 99% of items and expect to stay in business.

so deccent retail pricing on dry goods over 150 bucks would be 20- 25% markup. Around $180.00 bucks ( a max baseline where a new business with competition should try to be IMO). A 40% markup would extreme at $210, and the absolute max IMO you can justify on a dry good item over $150 bucks.