What would u like to see your LFS stock.

Saw a nice frag for a great price ? Let us know so we can buy it first !

Moderator: snoopdog

MRJAMEZ
Amoeba

What would u like to see your LFS stock.

Post by MRJAMEZ »

Hi everybody I am thinking about reopening my saltwater store. I was wondering what u would like to see stocked here. I plan on having 16 coral and invert tanks and 16 fish tanks.Any input was be great. Thanks
James Ladner
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Not really what I personally would like but I think it would be a good idea to stock a good variety of corals (i.e. acros and other SPS, LPS with a few nicer pieces like Acans and Echinos, softies, a good selection of Ricordia and Zoanthids.) As for as drygoods it would be pretty hard to forecast what will be the big sellers but a few metal halide ballasts, VHO ballasts, PC ballasts and quality T-5 ballasts along with a selection of bulbs that have a good reputation like Ushios or Reeflux in different colors. A few standard style tanks with different stains on the stands. Salt, calcium reactor media, some additives like iodine and things to help with problems like flatworms.

I am sure that there are more and when I have more time I will post it.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
MRJAMEZ
Amoeba

Post by MRJAMEZ »

Thanks Scott,
I plan on stocking everything u said except th t-5 ballast and bulbs. As for metal halide I was thinking reeflux and xm. I was going to stock instant ocean salt and maybe 1 other brand but have not decied which one.
thanks again and keep the comments comming!
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

A few good protein skimmers (EuroReef, Reef Octopus, ASM, maybe other brands), powerheads like Seio, Maxijets, and maybe Tunze for special orders, etc. Also consider quality pumps for closed loops and main circulation, like Sequence, Dolphin, Iwaki, etc. I highly recommend the T-5 selection, especially the ATI and IceCap stuff. As for salt, the Instant Ocean is fine, maybe also consider Reef Crystals. For halides, I would consider XM, Giesemann, Ushio, maybe Iwasakis. Good calcium additives would be great, such as some of the better 2 part solutions, kalkwasser. Carrying bulk amounts of carbon (or at least good brands), as well as granular ferric oxide hydroxide for PO4, CaCl, NaHCO3 (last two all at pool supply places, Home Depot, Lowe's, but good for convenience), MgCl2 and MgSO4, and commercial additives for the above would be fine, too. Pest control stuff like Scott said would be a great idea My recommendation on livestock is to select things that are both common and uncommon, usually do well in captivity (i.e. never order cleaner wrasses, etc. unless asked specifically with a downpayment, etc.). That will go a long way in helping you out with the live stuff, especially to help build a good reputation.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
MRJAMEZ
Amoeba

Post by MRJAMEZ »

Thanks Amphiprion, good sugestions. I love hearing input from the people that will mater the most the customer.
carlab
Amoeba

Post by carlab »

It would be great having a good saltwater store here in MS! I second the recommendation for Reef Crystals. I know I spend a lot ordering online for my salt tanks and would prefer buying local. James what store did you have? Noticed you said "reopening."
MRJAMEZ
Amoeba

Post by MRJAMEZ »

Thanks carlab, my store is mr.james video and aquariums. but hurricane katrina knocked me out of the aquarium buissneess. i only had a small salt water section in my video store but now ive found a partner so i could get rid of the videos and devote all 2500 sf. to all salt water yay. :) :) i plan on having 48 tanks to sell livestock out of. I plan on stocking an average a dozen clams also. Thanks for the input on the salt, and hope i see you soon.
coastieslk
Amoeba

Post by coastieslk »

one thing that would be cool is to have a frag swap tank where people can bring in there frags and trade thim for other customers frags. but for sure you should sell frags not just colonys.
any one looking to trade frags
MRJAMEZ
Amoeba

Post by MRJAMEZ »

Great idea coastieslk. Keep them comming.
Michelle
Amoeba

Post by Michelle »

Well I have to key in here for a second. Everyone says they want acros, but honestly unless you have kicka$$ holding systems that can hold them a long time you'll find not a lot of customers actuatyles can be applied quickly to selected tlly want to pay for them. Halide, VHO, and T5 lighting systems, ballasts, parts etc. are very handy to have on-hand, but don't overstock on that stuff, because a lot of it is money that could potentially be tied up on the floor a long time.

It's nice to hear of companies wanting to get back on their feet after the storms & all. Stop in any time to chat, we're always friendly with other stores :)
Thanks!
Michelle @ Fat Fish
28851 N. Main St., Ste. D
Daphne, AL 36526
251-626-0926
caymanada
Amoeba

Maybe consignment?

Post by caymanada »

Along the same lines as coastieslk suggestion, perhaps you could put other hobbyist frags on consignment? Of course, tack on a little extra to cover your overhead expenses of displaying and maintaining the frags.
coastieslk wrote:one thing that would be cool is to have a frag swap tank where people can bring in there frags and trade thim for other customers frags. but for sure you should sell frags not just colonys.
carterinms
Amoeba

Books

Post by carterinms »

Good books for when newbies wander into the store wondering what it will take to start a reef tank. Or for people like me who lost all their books. Glad to hear that you're re-opening, although it'll be at least another year before I start my new tank.

-Erica
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I would love to see someone with quality goods and great prices. A Skilter for $80 ? Give me a break.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Re: Books

Post by Scott »

carterinms wrote:Good books for when newbies wander into the store wondering what it will take to start a reef tank. Or for people like me who lost all their books. Glad to hear that you're re-opening, although it'll be at least another year before I start my new tank.

-Erica
Or when you are interested in a coral or fish and would like to see it's requirements before you go home to find out it's doomed in your tank.

There are some bood ideas here. One good thing to think about is to open and do things one way and stick with it. If you get suggestions or compaints think about them and decide whether your business will do better if you changed whatever the suggestion was about. Always carry good quality stuff, there are cheaper things that work well so you can have items that will fit all budgets. Sell and trade frags too (you may have to frag a colony a month to keep new frags available), that is a way to get new customers and keep your old customers happy and coming back to see what you have.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I can understand the need and wish for a store willing to trade frags with people. It's certainly nice for the hobbyist. I will strongly suggest though, having a tank/setup/system seperate from anything on the main system. All too often, whether known or unknown, pests of all sorts can be brought in and you don't want any chance of infecting your other stock with them. I would think it would be easier to monitor/ treat a smaller system as well if necessary.