Coral Spawning (Birds Nest Coral)

Techniques And Gear For Coral Propagation And Fragging!

Moderator: snoopdog

KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Coral Spawning (Birds Nest Coral)

Post by KrazyPlace »

Nearly a year ago... In a far away place (Mississippi) Terry gave me a piece of birds nest coral that had broken off and was wasting away at the bottom of his tank. The base was dead, so I broke the coral into 3 pieces and attached them a single large rock.

Since that time I have had to relocate them to their own rocks... I think I now have very small 'spawned' pieces of this coral all over my tank. I believe there are about 3 dozen of them.

I've been watching these small corals with great interest for about 2 months. I wasn't sure what they were until another coral fell over and killed half of a new comer. The dead part was unmistakably a birds nest coral. These are not frags, but spawned juveniles!

Has anyone ever seen/had spawning of these corals in there tanks?

This is a picture of one of the 'mother' pieces of the coral (left side) incase I have the name wrong. I'll try to get a picture of the juveys before the weekend is over.

Wind me up!
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Probably from polyp bail out. Polyp bail out is not uncommon (not that it has ever happened to me) in Seriotopora and Pocillopora species. That is pretty cool that they are growing.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Polyp bail out? Mmmmm.... OK, I give, what is that?
Wind me up!
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

A method of asexual reproduction or a result of stress where individual polyps detach from the coral skeleton and settle elsewhere to begin growing a new colony.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Stress in my tank? Most certainly! I add 5 gallons of water at a time to about 110 gallons total when I top off... I always thought this was a bit... excessive.

I also have seen these corals stung (*cough* *cough* numerous times).

I must say though, that this particular coral in my tank is one of the healthiest I've ever seen.

I found this article on the bail out: http://www.reefs.org/library/farmertodd/frag/sps/4.htm

I also found this excert from this website: http://www.aquarium.net/0397/0397_6.shtml

"...Pocillopora damicornis has a very engaging history in the companionship of humans. It has, for years, been the most studied coral in terms of coral research. It is also the first coral, as far as I know, to have reproduced in captivity. In aquariums, sexual reproductions of Pocillopora are becoming more common, but Pocillopora also reproduces asexually in a more common way called polyp bail-out. Sometimes sporadically, and often in response to stress, Pocillopora is noted along with a handful of other corals, to simply release it's polyps from the skeleton. The polyps then settle, begin calcifying a new skeleton, and perhaps many new colonies can thus be born..."

Thanks Scott!
Wind me up!
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

That was Pocillopora that I gave you and not a bird nest. Pocillopora is very common in reproduction in a tank. I believe this is what you have.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

You know I didn't hardly even look at the picture. It is a Pocillopora damicornis. Can you get some pictures of the babies?
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I've got some poping up in my tank also. I've found two so far.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

John has spots of stuff growing all over his tank like that, poor bastard.

Joe
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Phisher wrote:John has spots of stuff growing all over his tank like that, poor bastard.

Joe
I killed most of them already though. I placed a small clam shell over it for awhile and then they die!! :twisted:

But there is one huge on growing on my sea-swirl! I guess it is getting good current there!