Coral Frag Rubble Mounting

Techniques And Gear For Coral Propagation And Fragging!

Moderator: snoopdog

Brandon
Chromis

Coral Frag Rubble Mounting

Post by Brandon »

Are you mounting your frags to your larger live rock to keep them in place? I had just been gluing mine to rubble or a clam shell and then I had a nice shelf-like rock I placed the small frags on. I'm tired of these darned snails knocking my frags around, climbing on them, etc.. I hate snails! I've only got 10 snails in here.. but they seem to like to hang out around my sps frags. The just killed my favorite one, it was really looking very good, was a very small piece that I didn't think would make it but came from a beautiful mother colony from the display tank at aqua works. Anyways.. I find it a day later face down in the sand on the bottom of the tank.. This little fellow was really fuzzy.. now it is bleached and dry.. grrr.

I hate to mount the rubble , because I have been moving the pieces around a bit until I am satisfied they are getting good water movement, light, etc...

I've tought about making a little egg-crate shelf and using some of the little plugs to mount them in and just stick them in the egg-crate holes.. wouldn't be as attractive, but would keep them from falling to their deaths.
The plugs are either the flower holders or the lawn sprinkler filter types.

Anyone have any ideas I can use.. a little death to snails sign? :)

If I mount my rubble pieces how hard would they be to detach again?
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

How about a little electric fence around the frags? I usually mount frags to rubble. I have a few that are mounted on baseball sized pieces of LR but I am not sure how they will grow or how large they will become and placement in the final position can be tricky. Since I am moving to a bigger tank I didn't want to mount the rubble to anything yet, but I have the same problem you have. If you use the Oatley's epoxy from HD to mount the rubble to your LR you can just pry it off. It really doesn't take too much force to do it. The only real problem is if the frag encrusts beyond the rubble and onto the LR which will happen eventually.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I'm all for that electric fence! Maybe I could chain a watch-trigger to the sps area to keep the inverts away.
I think I am going to go with the sprinkler plugs, and try and find some black eggcrate. Anyone seen Black Eggcrate at any of the local lighting places? I'll just position on the far end in a corner of the aquarium. Shouldn't look too bad. The propagation part is the most interesting part of this to me.. so it'll just have to be :)

Going to order 100 of these if anyone needs any.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

You need a frag tank :D
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I would like some when you order them. Is there any more room under your stand? You could set up a small prop tank for new frags. I have never seen black eggcrate.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

No Problem.. He is sending me extras to pass out to the club.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

sounds great, i need em, i have a crap load of acros i wanna grow out
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Hey Brandon, do you still have any those plugs left? Or can you point me in the right directions to get some? Thanks
John
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I have plenty of them.. but didn't make the last meeting so noone got any. I'll hand some out at the next meeting, so you can try them out. I can also point you in the right direction to buy some. This is where I got them from:

http://www.ram4x4.com/coralfragplugs/Co ... _Plugs.htm
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Brandon, pretty cool. greatly appreciated!!!!