Coral Id

What is that and where did it come from?

Moderator: snoopdog

andy4499
Chromis

Coral Id

Post by andy4499 »

I bought this the other day from rich, because my life liked it. He told me what it was but I could not remember the name. He said that polyps will come out of it at night and if it is feed they will come out during the day. It is a hard coral.
Attachments
MVC-035F.JPG
MVC-035F.JPG (71.19 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Looks like some variety of Trumpet or Caulastra.... I am sure Scott or X will know.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Looks like sun coral. Non-photosynthetic, needs reqular feeding.

Joe
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

that was what I was going to say Phisher, we were there the other night and that was one I was checking out myself. Good pick Andy & Crissie
Karen
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

It is a Tubastraea or sun polyp.FEED IT.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

wtrhed wrote:It is a Tubastraea or sun polyp.FEED IT.

That is what he called it a Tubastraea. Thanks for all the help.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Ick, aren't Sun Polyps on the almost impossible to keep list.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I have one just like it. They can be "trained" to take foods at a certain time, but mine doesn't. They do need to be fed. The biggest complaint that I have is that they look much better at night or just after you feed your fish.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I'm just not about any coral you have to feed, too lazy!

Joe
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I'm a pod!

Joe
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Actually, the orange Tubastrea's do pretty well, as long as you are willing to take the time to care for it, and seeing how really beautiful they become when they're healthy and happy is really rewarding. The Black ones (from what I understand) are much harder to keep alive.
If I can offer some advice, get a bowl large enough to put it in without exposing it to the air, if you can help it. Chop up some Mysis and or whatever other thawed frozen food you have, (occasionally I'll crush some pellets in with it) and put a few good turkey basters of food in the bowl with it, then let it sit long enough to eat. It's the best way I've found to feed it. Each polyp has to be fed individually and if you swirl the food around it'll have a better chance. There are other ways people use, but I find that this doesn't foul up my tank near as much. Do this every day at the same time, like evenings when you feed the fish, and it'll get used to opening at about that time. I've had really good luck with mine, and after a while you know when it's had enough to eat, I feed mine every one or two days now, and if I could figure how to post a pic of it I would. :?
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

By the way, that one still looks good, it doesn't look like it's starving, so you may not have too much trouble getting them to open.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I just saw hers last night and it was beautiful!!! Can't say I would have the patience to do that every night or 2, but sure are happy with her method.
Thanks again for the frags Sue. They are all settling in just fine :) I'll get some pics tomarrow for you.
Still looking forward to getting your corner unit Fri, shoot maybe even before that. Will call.
Karen
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

That's way too much work for me. Goodluck
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Sounds good, Karen..maybe you can bring your camera and take a couple of pics.