Snail?, Cowry?, Nudibranch? ....what is it??

What is that and where did it come from?

Moderator: snoopdog

Brandon
Chromis

Snail?, Cowry?, Nudibranch? ....what is it??

Post by Brandon »

Found this odd bit of critter this morning before the lights came on.
Has a small bit of shell on his "head", the rest is regular snail like mush.
I put him in a glas on my desk, just in case it is something bad. He is about the size of a pea.

- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Ok.. think I have it answered, looks to be a variant of a Stomatella snail.. harmless grazer. I feel bad for roughing the thing up now, but better safe than sorry.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I have TONS of them in my tank, they seem to be harmless... probably good food for fishies!
-Josh Murrah
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Looks a lot like Sen John Kerry but need a little more light to tell for sure...some sort of a slug....Might seem harmless but could change and be very danger :lol: ous.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

ShagMan wrote:I have TONS of them in my tank, they seem to be harmless... probably good food for fishies!
You should start trading them for something, I read they are supposed to be real good algae grazers. Or it could be that John Kerry thing that Terry mentioned :)
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Heheheheh....

I still chuckle after watching Southpark... the kids had to vote on a mascot, and the kids nominated two canidates: a douche, and a turd sandwich, and the whole show was about which to vote for, why should you vote, etc... it was a great satire :)
-Josh Murrah
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Well I can say for sure that they aren't good algea grazers, at least on the glass hehehehe... I'll post pics later.
-Josh Murrah
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I have some free snail if any body wants them. I tried to give brandon some last night but he declined. I got them yesterday diving. We think they are Olive snail. They are very attractive but probably not reef safe. I have them in my frog tank so far they haven't eaten any coral. They would probably be good in a fish only tank. They travel under the sand. Terry you have seen them diving before they make the tracks like a mole in the sand. They use the shell a lot to make hanging flower basket and stuff.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

Here's one.
Attachments
olive snail.jpg
olive snail.jpg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

be careful, i noticed on the shell of the critted it was black and white banded, ive seen thse guys eating zoos on reef central and i saw one on a rock of zoos at amazons rivers tank and it had a tube comming out of the shell and it was sucking the insides of the zoo...
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

possibly a morph of a sundial snail...heres a pic, theyre zoanthid eaters,,, http://www.zoosrus.com/forums/attachmen ... ostid=3010
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I have not seen those diving but I have seen some of the huge white ones...on the legs of platforms.....they knock everything over..but might wk in a fuge.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I really do not think that is a Sundial snail, Sundial snails have a cone to close up in case of attack. The have there main cone that is there home and a smaller to cover there trunk. Brandon's picture shows a more sluglike appearance with a very small shell on the back. I have had these looked up by Dr Mac before and he had said they were harmless algea grazers and normal hitchhikers.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate