Some Kind of Worm

What is that and where did it come from?

Moderator: snoopdog

Snowboarder2757
Amoeba

Some Kind of Worm

Post by Snowboarder2757 »

Ok I dont have a picture yet...camera broke, but this is how I can best explain it:
Ita about an inch or a little longer. Brown in color, and has many many many legs. Best thing I can relate it to is a centipede.
Any Ideas?
Andrew
30g reef
55gal fw
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

doesnt look like this does it!

http://%20www.oregonreef.com./sub_worm.htm
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Common Bristleworm, more than likely you have more than you know. I have them ranging from a centimeter to about 9 inches. It's kind of scarry to see one at night and not ever see the caboose when it come out of a rock.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

my idea was much more dramatic. but i agree, prolly just a bristleworm. :wink:
Snowboarder2757
Amoeba

Post by Snowboarder2757 »

Yeah its a bristle worm. I killed it! haha. Yeah you will have to bear with me, I am very new to salt water. I'm thinking about getting an arrow crab to take care of any others in case they are the ones that eat coral tissue, but I dont know. Thanks
Andrew
30g reef
55gal fw
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

well, most people think they are beneficial and dont bother with them. however, i did catch one attacking a snail. he may have been hungry though, it was at the end of the tank cycling and i didnt have anything to feed, so no food was put in there. i havent caught any doing that since i got some fish and there have been some "scraps" they can eat.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

crsswift70 wrote:well, most people think they are beneficial and dont bother with them. however, i did catch one attacking a snail. he may have been hungry though, it was at the end of the tank cycling and i didnt have anything to feed, so no food was put in there. i havent caught any doing that since i got some fish and there have been some "scraps" they can eat.
Chances are if it was happened while you were cycling your tank the snail was already dead. Snails aren't always the most hardy creatures. I have lost snails any time i ever had a big fluctuation in water quality over the years. Not all of them but they do seem to die more often when water params change.