Name that crab....

What is that and where did it come from?

Moderator: snoopdog

Squirrelboy
Amoeba

Name that crab....

Post by Squirrelboy »

I came home from the pet store today and looked into my tank before I went to eat and there on my Umbrella was this green crab. very similar to a mithrax emerald green from the rear but the pincers are extremely small and the legs set behind the pincers extend over the pincers also the crab has no mithrax shape in the front a snout like portion actually sticks out over its mouth. Im not sure if it would or could harm my Umbrella or other corals but Ive taken him out and placed him in my 20 long until I can identify him Ill try and get some pictures up when possible but if anyone has any idea what he may be Id really appreciate your help. Thanks.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I name it.....dead ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
redpheonix
Copepod

?

Post by redpheonix »

sounds like it might be an arrow crab based on the shape of the head but without pics it almost impossible to identify.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
Squirrelboy
Amoeba

Decorator crab

Post by Squirrelboy »

Yea my description was kinda close to the arrow but he doesnt have the same body or long legs I think it is a decorator crab just shy of alot of decoration atm since he is rather tiny.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

From what you just described, it sounds like any of the cryptic "decorator" Majid crabs. There are quite a few species and aren't uncommon on things like coral pieces, etc.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium