What is the best hitch hiker you ever got.....

What is that and where did it come from?

Moderator: snoopdog

SaltnLime
Chromis

What is the best hitch hiker you ever got.....

Post by SaltnLime »

And how long before you noticed it? :P
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

There is a flourescent green and black open brain in the middle of my tank. I think it is officially a rose coral. Anyway, it came to me on a piece of Florida aquacultured liverock!

I will take a pic some day.

Elizabeth
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I get hiker crabs all the time. I bought just one piece of rock for the nano tank and even looked the rock over good. 2 weeks later a crab comes out. I wonder where this stuff hides at for so long.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

We got this cool little smilely face on our original rock from Flying Fish Express. It was actually a little green and brown polyp of some type. It was all alone for a long time and it just started having babies about 4 months ago.. We have had this rock for over 3 years.
New_Noob
Amoeba

Post by New_Noob »

This realy nice Zoanthid colonie.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I found a HUGE black/white swirled snail in my tank yesterday... when I mean huge, I close to the size of a silver dollar... it was a conical looking thing with one of those circular trap doors in bottom... as soon as my neighbor's kid spotted him, I dug him out to take a look... and the next day, he had gone and hid again... I wish I had gotten a pic!

Forgot to add, this is six months after the new tank setup.
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Shagman, that sounds like a box snail.. a known predator of zoanthid colonies. Might want to look it up to see if that's what you got. If it is you should be able to find him close to your zoanthids.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yep, had these before, normally hiding in Zoos. Kill it immediately. There is a thread here in this section about them.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

I have (3) sea slugs --> Scutus antipodes. They are very interesting and I think rare too. I have at least 1 male and 1 female, because they keep attempting to breed.

http://www.seaslugforum.net/scutus.htm
Wind me up!
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Brandon wrote:Shagman, that sounds like a box snail.. a known predator of zoanthid colonies. Might want to look it up to see if that's what you got. If it is you should be able to find him close to your zoanthids.
Uhh, that's exactly where I found him..... :shock: :shock: I need to do some research!

UPDATE: uhh, nevermind... the snail you took a shot of has a cone-shaped door... mine has a round flat door, I believe it to be some colorful variant of a turbo. I'll try my best to find him again, however, he obviously likes dark areas for some reason, since I had never seen him before.
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Thats cool Krazyplace... "Attempting" to breed? lol! that's gotta be funny.

On some live rock we picked up we got a cool Frilly Mushroom, that started (6 months or so ago) about the size of a nickel. Now it's the size of a small plate.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

I say attempting because I'm yet to see the offspring.

Actually the breeding process is incredible... They position themselves about 1" apart in a vertical position on the rocks just before the lights go out (nothing nasty here, so don't get your mind going) then one will spray a massive stream of very small eggs (tens of thousands I estimate) and the other sprays a large stream of milky stuff (sperm?) into the water column. This is repeated about 10 times. I've seen it a few times over the last few years.

I'm hoping for some 'results' one day. This would make for some serious trading material. :D
Wind me up!
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

How long have you had these ?
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

OK, on a hunch, I checked the aquarium after the lights went out, and I got pics... these two guys look like regular ol' large turbos, but they're HUGE, and black/white spiraled, funky..... notice the toothpicked coral for scale in one of the pics... I've had these guys for at least 6 months (my last rock addition) and didn't know it until last week... they obviously hide during the "day" because there's no corellline on 'em.
Attachments
IMG_1107-small.JPG
IMG_1107-small.JPG (97.83 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
IMG_1115-small.JPG
IMG_1115-small.JPG (20.7 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I can't tell from the picture if it's the same one or not. The Heliacus Box Snail has a weird little trap door thingy though:

This is what I could find on them, should be enough to positively identify them hopefully. Hope they haven't been bumping snail uglies and made more of them :)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/ ... liacus.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/ ... invert.htm

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_p ... estock.htm