Mantis issue

What is that and where did it come from?

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Mantis issue

Post by snoopdog »

I have what i am guessing is a mantis shrimp in my 26 gallon tank. I will occasionally hear a clicking noise but not as loud as a pistol shrimp. I also cannot seem to keep a snail in this tank. I just purchased 6 more snails and already see two empty shells the second day. The other snails were dropped in other tanks and are alive. I firmly believe this is my last mantis needing to be caught. Well diggin around on message boards i ran across these pics. Could you imagine this sucker in your tank.

"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

wow he looks MEAN.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Look that this guy. I would honestly say i would love to have one this pretty in it's on tank. He is quite a speciman
Attachments
mantis1.jpg
mantis1.jpg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
mantissmasher.jpg
mantissmasher.jpg (29.46 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

My god that's huge!
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Melissa has taken over my mantis tank.. and it has corals in it now. Now that there is more rock in there.. I never see him. I'm gonna have to flush him out so I can put some snails in there. He has a little hairy crab buddy that he likes to whip his butt every now and then, but hasn't managed to kill him yet. I think they're neat.. pretty personable for a shrimp. We feed him with a skewer , he darts out of his hole and grabs a hold of the piece of shrimp or scallop trying like heck to get it off.. if he can't he smacks it a couple of times, and you can feel it in the handle of the skewer.
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

I am sorry...but I think they are disgusting.....can't help it! They remind me of cockroaches! :nono:

YUCK!

Elizabeth
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I don't care for the cleaner shrimp climbing all over me.. I'm always yelling "Get off me roaches!". I haven't had the mantis try and get on me though
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

My CBS is very "sneaky". I will go in there to do my routine maintenance and I have to curve my arm around because it is tight in there getting around the corals. He waits till I am in a bad position where I cannot jerk my arm up then starts coming at me. He is very smart and I try to stay away from him. Not sure what his intentions are but I doubt they are good.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.