Durso Stand Pipe

Break out the ducktape !

Moderator: snoopdog

Brandon
Chromis

Durso Stand Pipe

Post by Brandon »

Dealing with lots of micro-bubbles and gurgling. I really need to work on my sump. I am going to add a durso standpipe also to help with the god-awful loud splashing noises as the water goes down into the overflow.
I found this good link for a DIY standpipe, and thought I would share it:

http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpip ... _frame.htm

ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I did a very similar thing with my overflow box... I didn't bother with the T and air release, I just drilled the tops of the elbows instead, works great. It's soooooo nice not to have that gurgling noise from the back 1/2 of the overflow. Here's a few pics.

-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Alright.. I'm sort of plumbing impaired. What would be the benefit of the stand-pipe on an external overflow? Love your DIY snailguard :)
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Actually, that's a (*#&%%& damsel guard! they just swim right through the fingers otherwise. The reason for me putting that there was the LOUD swooshing/gurgling noise that it made w/out the foam in place, because of the open hole.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

YOU ARE THE MAN ! I was just thinking of this today, glad you posted it.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

looks like im gonna have to build a stand pipe and a screen, lost a green chromis to the overflow the other day :(
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I need some 1 inch screens for my bulkheads if anyone has some. I can maybe trade something for two of them. I got he bulkheads at rich's and he was out of screens.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

hey kev, i have some 1" bulkhead screens...brand spanking new..wanna trade for a frag of your green encrusting gorgonian?..i really like him....soesnt have to be big..just enough so he can grow...
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Well I have a piece of tanish Encrusting Gorgonia, I am sure we can snap off some. I think your are talking about the gorgonia that had such long polyps that sit on my sand in front of the tank ? Are those screens threaded or non-threaded ?
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

screens are threaded... brand spankin new also....and also, i have your shrimp...he bout blew up my tank, it sounded like someone hitting a hammer on the tank.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Rockin
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.