Kalk reactor

Break out the ducktape !

Moderator: snoopdog

LoneStar
Amoeba

Kalk reactor

Post by LoneStar »

While I was going through some old equipment the other day, I ran across on old magnum 350 canister filter that I have had for probably 5 or 6 years. The impeller magnet was about wore out and was making a bit of noise and I really didnt have much use for it so I decided to try to make a kalkreactor out of it. The mods were very easy.

1. remove the canister from the inside and replace it with a piece of 1" pvc. I used 1" couplings on each side for a good fit to the parts remaining in the filter. Drill holes all the way around the top coupling to alow for clean water to be pulled into the impeller.

2. Remove the small pipe that runs from the impeller to the top of the filter (for the outlet). Add a 90 degree elbow into its spot at the bottom near the impeller (I thought I had 1 that would fit but did not so I didnt add the 90 degree elbow yet).

3. Cut the inlet and outlet hoses and buy adapters to reduce the 5/8" hose to 1/4" hose.

I dumped about 1/2 of a jar (approx 200g) of kalk into the magnum 350 and put it on a timer. I fed the reactor with my dosing pump which pulls RODI water from an external tank. I use the timer for 1 minute 6 times a day. So far so good.

The main downside that I see is that the chamber is short and the impeller turns too fast. I think it would be great if I could get a timer so that it would run for only 15-20 seconds.

The impeller magnet will probably not last long but it is worth a try.

I will keep you posted on how things turn out.

Jeremy
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

How did it work out?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

It worked very good. Only drawback is it was noisy (but not the kalks fault). It was noisy before which was 1 reason it went out of commision on the freshwater tank years ago. I had to take it down today to fit the calcium reactor under the stand. I am experimenting with something a little smaller.

All in all, my calcium stayed at about 445 but i am still dosing small amounts of B-ionic.

Jeremy
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I bought two magnetic stirrers from labx.com a while back, gonna build me one using one of them eventually.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.