Blender Food

Break out the ducktape !

Moderator: snoopdog

KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Blender Food

Post by KrazyPlace »

I just made another batch of my homemade blender mash for the fish tank.

I used:

1 lb fresh shrimp (like you eat)
1 lb fresh oysters (in a plastic container)
1/2 lb fresh fish (I used whiting b/c it's cheap)
10 sheets of Nori (1 pack from the Asian Market)
4 heaping tablespoons of flake food
1 pack of Mysis shrimp
2 cups of salt water (from tank)

Basically I have to make 2 batches because my blenders too small to hold all of this so:

Mix 1 cup saltwater, the frozen Mysis shrimp, and 5 sheets of Nori. I tear the Nori into 1/2" squares. Blend this up really good so that the Nori is "bite sized" for the fish.

Then I add half the fresh fish, flake food, shrimp, and oysters (drained & lightly rinsed). I blend this pretty good too. I try to get the pieces to 1/4". It's a little tricky not pulverizing it all the way to mush, so you might want to experiment or make 1 batch mush and 1 batch chunky.

I repeat this with the other half of the ingredients.

Once I have it all in a bowl, I fill up Ziploc sandwich bags and lay them flat so that they are about 1/4" - 1/3" thick. I stack these on a plate and freeze them.

The next day I get the Ziploc bags out of the freezer and thaw them for 5 minutes so they're easy to cut. Using a meat cleaver, I cut them into 1/2" - 1" squares. I then put the squares in another Ziploc bag and leave in the freezer until needed.

When I feed this I put it in a cup with tank water until it thaws. This way it won't go straight into my overflow when I feed.

One word of warning is that the oyster’s juice will cause your skimmer to go nuts if you don't drain it! It only cost about $15-$20 to make a batch and it'll last me months! I hope you guys find this useful!
Wind me up!
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Yet another batch of blender MASH complete! Already tested this one out and the fish love it!

This time I used:

1 lb shrimp
1 lb oysters
1 lb flounder
20 sheets Nori
1/2 lb mysis shrimp
6 cups of saltwater

Total cost: $34.09
Wind me up!
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Your fish eat better than I do. Occasionally I make small batches. I use Cyclopeeze, pellet fish food, dehydrated salmon roe, scallops, nori, rhomaine lettuce and Golden Pearls (the 2 smallest sizes). I try to feed it when the lights first come on and the corals are still in feeding mode every Saturday.

I don't know what results you might get but oysters may contain Vibrio. If the conditions are right and you have a cut you could get Vibrio which from what I have heard is not pleasant. Maybe freezing the food kills it, I don't know. For all I know Vibrio could be in all our tanks as normal bacteria that live on coral tissue.

Also, if you can get in good with a fish market that cleans their own fish you may be able to get some row from them. Ova have very high concentrations of fat and protien so it would be a great addition to you food. Some fish roe contain high levels of Astaxanthin which is a carotenoid pigment. I know the Salmon roe contains it and my true percs colors have gotten much better since I started feeding this.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Scott wrote:...also, if you can get in good with a fish market that cleans their own fish you may be able to get some row from them. Ova have very high concentrations of fat and protien so it would be a great addition to you food. Some fish roe contain high levels of Astaxanthin which is a carotenoid pigment. I know the Salmon roe contains it and my true percs colors have gotten much better since I started feeding this...
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it next time!
Wind me up!