DIY - Poor Mans Ghetto Chiller

Break out the ducktape !

Moderator: snoopdog

Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

If you operate it at too low a temp the refrigerant in the evaperator will not evaperate and you will end up with liquid refrigerant going back to the compressor. The piston cannot compress liquid and will usually either blow out the valves or piston rings.

If the unit is equiped with a low pressure switch you might be ok BUT you will not be able to maintain as cold a temp in the box.

Joe
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Phisher wrote:If you operate it at too low a temp the refrigerant in the evaperator will not evaperate and you will end up with liquid refrigerant going back to the compressor. The piston cannot compress liquid and will usually either blow out the valves or piston rings.

If the unit is equiped with a low pressure switch you might be ok BUT you will not be able to maintain as cold a temp in the box.

Joe
I guess that explains why the compressor knocks when I point the powerhead where the liquid line enters the evaporator coil.. I guess it goes back to the compressor as a mostly liquid. Is that right?
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Its prob not that its pointed at the liquid line but that its not pointed at the coil.

Joe
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I am thinking of strating one of these projects I just got a window unit a few weeks ago and now am going to be looking for the rest of the parts to build it. Brandon (or anyone else) do you have any more sugestons on the way it should be built. Is the Aqualogic Temp Controller the cheepest one that could be used. I was wondering if I could stop by some time to check out what yours looks like?