KrazyPlace's 180g Project

Break out the ducktape !

Moderator: snoopdog

KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

KrazyPlace's 180g Project

Post by KrazyPlace »

Remember me? :D

After 7 months of exile to Texas, I'm getting ready to buy a house over here. I'll be moving the family in June and when I do, I'll be building a new tank. I want to build a 180g tank (72x24x24). The house we buy has to have the room, but I don't think that will be a problem.

I'm planning the stand now by drawing it on AutoCAD. Here is an exported picture of the frame. I want to know what you guys know about the minimum support needed for this much weight (~1550 lbs). I know you guys have built stands, so has anyone build a 24" wide and successfully supported it with 2x4s?

The frame is designed with 2x4s only. I think the picture is intuitive even though it doesn't include any dimensions. Do you have suggestions and/or links to more information for me?
Wind me up!
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

You do not need to use 2x4 material or any other 2x lumber to build a stand. A properly connected 1x6 and 1x8 frame will easily support that tank. It is incredibly easy to construct 1x frames using only a $15.00 pocket screw guide. It is actually much easier than building a giant stuctural frame and then trying to attach a skin.

Lumber in general can carry a very high compression load on the ends. It is also very strong in bending when used against the narrow side. Even yellow pine will handle well over 100 pounds per square inch.

I would encourage you to look at stands made by commercial sellers. You will quickly see what I mean. It will save you a ton of room and will result in a better product.

My 225 stand, built by me, is supported by three 1x6 on the ends and three 1x8 vertical frames members on the front and back. The top and bottom rails are 1x8.