Your #1 DIY reef project

Break out the ducktape !

Moderator: snoopdog

SaltnLime
Chromis

Your #1 DIY reef project

Post by SaltnLime »

Wanted to start a thread where everyone could place their favorite DIY reef project. Please include as much info as possible....hopefully we can all learn something...as well as others who join us in the futures.

This does not have to be an elaborate project...sometimes....no most times it's the small stuff that really makes a difference.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

Right now we are working on a Nilsen reactor. It should make the exhorbidant (sp?) amount of kalk that this tank requires, easier to dose by keeping it stirred.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Elizabeth :roll:
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Did you see the huge kalk reactor in Kevin's thread about the 240 gallon in wall tank? I think it is on one of the last pages of the linked thread.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

no one else has done a DIY reef project?
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

There are threads elsewhere on MBRK where I:

*) did a PVC "liverock rack" to reduce liverock used, increase filtration, and give the fishies some hiding / swimming room.

*) modded my HOB overflow to have a Durso standpipe and a "damsel guard" out of cheap plastic mesh available at HD/Lowes.

I think those are my best DIY projects over the past year or so.
-Josh Murrah
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

I just completed a moon light setup using 6 500TB4D Super Blue LEDs. I set 3 in series and each series in parallel. Each series required a 1/4 watt - 100 Ohm resistor and I used a 450 mA 120VAC to 12.6VDC transformer from Radio Shack. The light operates between 465 and 473 nM wavelength. The light is very dim and looks very good! I saw the idea at this link. Take a look and let me know if anyone else has messed around with the moon lighting using LEDs.
Wind me up!
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I went ghetto and installed a blue rope-light from Wal-Mart in my canopy... but I REALLy like the results.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Brandon wrote:I went ghetto......

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Got any pics of how the blue rope light looks? I liked Terry's idea about night lighting, he just had two blue "party bulbs", in a socket on each end of his 240.
-Josh Murrah
evermann
Amoeba

Post by evermann »

I recently saw KrazyPlaces 6 blue led's as moonlights and IMO thy roxors...Thy actually give a shimmering effect sim to MH's...The fish were sleeping and the corals were closed but you could see very well into the tank....Time for barder me thinks.. :D
How much for de women? *twack*
Ahh, your kung-fu is strong...
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Thanks evermann! I have also setup my 29G with 6 LEDs using a 24V transformer all in series with 300 Ohms of resisters.
Wind me up!
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

evermann wrote:I recently saw KrazyPlaces 6 blue led's as moonlights and IMO thy roxors...Thy actually give a shimmering effect sim to MH's...The fish were sleeping and the corals were closed but you could see very well into the tank....Time for barder me thinks.. :D
Yeah, I love the few I have set up on my small tank...and they do shimmer. I mounted mine to face the reflector and then go back to the tank.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

KrazyPlace wrote:I just completed a moon light setup using 6 500TB4D Super Blue LEDs. I set 3 in series and each series in parallel. Each series required a 1/4 watt - 100 Ohm resistor and I used a 450 mA 120VAC to 12.6VDC transformer from Radio Shack. The light operates between 465 and 473 nM wavelength. The light is very dim and looks very good! I saw the idea at this link. Take a look and let me know if anyone else has messed around with the moon lighting using LEDs.
Where did you get the leds from? I was thinking about rigging something like that up. If you have more details could you email them to me. I would like to come by some time an check them out a see how you have them put together.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Snakeman - Read my first post on this thread. I have some links to the LED vender and a website that will help you build it.

Basically you need a 120VAC to either a 12VDC or 24VDC transformer. You also need a resister. The resister size is calculated by subtracting the transformer's DC voltage output by the total voltage of the LEDs and divided by the amperage you want the LEDs to operate at: (12.6V - 3 x 3.4V) / 0.020 amps (20 mA) = 100 Ohms. The resister must be on the positive side. With this calculation you will have 3 LEDs in each series. You can have as many parallel LEDs as you like as long as you do not exceed the amperage of the transformer. The total amperage of the circuit is additive. Solder it all together to a wall plug and you’re done.

The LEDs are about $20-$25 for 15, the resistors are $0.99 for a 5 pack and the transformer is $7.99 at radio shack. Draw it out and if you have question let me know.
Wind me up!
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

How do the LED's hold up to salt water corriosion over time ? I am just wondering if anyone has had issues with it that have done these. It is a very good idea and many reefers have made LED light setups. I just have not seen any follow ups on if they corroded around the salt water.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate