Sump Build

Break out the ducktape !

Moderator: snoopdog

bluwtr
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Sump Build

Post by bluwtr »

Here is a picture of the sump I've built for BTompkin. It measures 55x21x18 and has a working volume of 38 gallons and a total volume of 90. It is made from 3/8ths acrylic. Brock has a friend that has a C&C machine and he cut all of the part. Perfect edges all around. The link is to Photobucket for the rest of the pics.

http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... p%20Build/
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Buddy08
Copepod

Re: Sump Build

Post by Buddy08 »

sharp looking, how much would something like that cost me? in a smaller version of course
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Tell me what you had in mind and we can go from there. Be glad to work something up for you.
Wes

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

i plan on upgrading to a 150 within the year and Im thinking something big enough for that. It would be a while before I buy it, still recovering from christmas but I wouldnt mind having one of those in the future. If you could give me a rough estimate as to how much it'll cost; I can start pinching my pennies
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

I'll put something together for you and get a rough idea. What size are you looking for though as far as working volume? Also, what equipment (skimmer etc.) and what functions would you want? By functions I mean, would you want a refugium area as well or just a flow through system.
Wes

pheonixsoul25
Amoeba

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

Impressive work!
100 gallon mixed reef
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Thanks! It was a fun build and went very smoothly.
Wes

Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

probably around 40 gallons or so with a 10 gallon fuge, bubble trap and so forth. not sure about the skimmer as the one i have now is rated for 110 gallons and requires to be submerged in a depth of 9 inches but when i upgrade the tank, i will upgrade the skimmer as well
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Okay. Just so I'm clear, when you say 40g you mean the entire sump volume correct? The reason I ask is because the one I built for BTompkins has a working volume of 38g. Now we, could deepen it, but that would take away from the emergency reserve volume. The working depth of the skimmer isn't a big concern, because you can manually raise of lower it if needed. Are you planning on the sump being under the stand or outside? Also, how would you like to plumb it--drain on r/l, fuge in the middle or fuge/skim/return? I will draw something up when you get me this info.
Wes

Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

right now i have return/fuge/skimmer from left to right, the tnak just drians into the skimmer side and flows downward to the left through the fuge and back out to the DT. Yes to the entire sump volume of 40 gallons (or should i go bigger?). the sump would be under my stand but down the road i would like to have a closet dedicated to the sump and equipment but thats wayyyy down the road.
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Okay, cool. The size is really up to you, but realize bigger costs more (of course) however you do get the larger volume of water added to your system. I'll work something up on 40 gallons total and we can tweek from there.

One other thing. Give me the dimensions of the inside of your stand.
Wes

Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

dont have the stand, its an upgrade for the future. i currently have a 75g but when i upgrade the dimensions will be roughly 72x 24x25.
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

that would be a 180 gallon so maybe i would need to go bigger with the sump fuge. if you could get me a quote on a 40 gallon and 60 gallon sump that would be awesome
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

No problem and thanks for the dimensions. Just realized though, is 25" tall correct? Seems short.
Wes

Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

tank i was looking at was a 180 long, i still havent made my mind up yet as to size, All i know is it will be bigger than my 75, would like to go double in size but that all depends on the finance situation when i get there, so far i dont see any issues but you never know.