Sump Return Piping

Break out the ducktape !

Moderator: snoopdog

KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Sump Return Piping

Post by KrazyPlace »

Hey group! Looking for some advice. I will be re-piping my sump to tank piping. I have 2-1" holes right now. One is for overflow to the sump and the other is the return to the tank. I want to add a closed loop and move the return to tank so that it comes up the back side of the tank. Basically, both 1" holes will be overflows.

My question is: How do I secure the return piping so that it does not rattle, slide, fall, etc? How did you guys do it? Did you guys attach the piping to the canopy? Thanks!
Wind me up!
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Did you ever figure this out? At the time I didn't have any of the things you mentioned so I couldn't help. I do now though.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

No not yet, Scott. I will be piping a single Mak4 pump for use as a sump return pump next week. I will use both 1" holes for the overflows. I still haven't decided how to secure the return piping without attaching it to the canopy. I hope I do not have to do this, but the piping can not just "lay" on top of the back of the tank. I can only imagine it vibrating and/or falling off! :shock: I do not have a center connector for the tank. How did you do yours?
Wind me up!
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Personally i have the pipe overhang and then 90 down an inch so that it hooks onto the back of the tank. Then to be safe i would use a one inch pipe hanger like they sell for electrical conduit, they are cheap enough to buy. The pipe hanger would attach to the highest part of the stand.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I used a hanger to attach the pvc to the canopy. Worked great but I didn't have to because I had the conopy made so that when I T-ed off the return piping above the tank it secured it.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.