Moving

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Amanda
Amoeba

Moving

Post by Amanda »

We are moving within the next week or two to Cottondale, which is about 40 minutes away from our house now. We have a 100 gallon aquarium with about, I dont know, 70lbs rock and a couple pieces of coral and 3 fish...plus 100lbs sand....how would we go about moving this? Should we save all the water in containers? Any tips?

Thanks to anyone that replies :)
- Jason & Amanda
Tanks: 100g, 20g, 20g, 10g & 5g
satchmofish
Amoeba

Post by satchmofish »

I moved from Maryland with my 72g. do waterchanges for a few days to make the water as clean as possible, then on the day of the move save as much tank water as you can in containers. let the sand stay wet as well as any of the biological media. I covered my live rock with newspaper wet with water from the tank & into buckets that I covered with trash bags. I put my corals & fish in coolers with battery powered air stones & made the trip. The first thing we unloaded & set up was the aquarium as soon as we got here. hope it helps.
-Russ
uncommon valor was a common virtue
Beaver
Amoeba

Post by Beaver »

Russ has the right idea last thing moved first thing setup
Also preparation is the key, if you can go to the new place get some water ready that way you can just do a really big water change. but remember proper temp ca2 alk no p04 and sal be sure these match your tank para and follow up with a couple of 10 % change in the following weeks.

Beaver
Amanda
Amoeba

Post by Amanda »

Thanks everyone! What about the sand? We have like 100lbs of live sand...one place told me to get rid of it and get new...???
- Jason & Amanda
Tanks: 100g, 20g, 20g, 10g & 5g
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

No...Pack it up and take it with you...depending on how long it takes to get back in the tank it will cycle but treat it like live rock...keep it wet with water from the tank.....no different than just going to a bigger tank....
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

I bought a 150 from a guy and he gave me all his live rock and live sand. Well it died. We had to put it outside and remove all the water because the house started smelling like rotten eggs. It took a week for the water to cycle once I got the tank set up but it was all good. It was all out of water for about a month.
-Kristyn
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I am not a big proponent for saving an old bed of sand unless it will remain relatively undisturbed and moved for only a short amount of time. Once it really gets churned up, it may be a burden from then on. If you cannot leave the sand bed intact with some water for a short amount of time, then I would just consider some new sand. I would also use the move as a means to do a large water change, assuming, of course, you have a ready supply. I would really only worry about saving about 50% of the old water. If you can't get any or much new water, save as much old water as you need.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium