octopus.

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

B&Bemployee1802
Amoeba

octopus.

Post by B&Bemployee1802 »

I am very interested in getting an octopus and was hoping to talk to someone who owns/has owned one. Thanks.
kristo
Copepod

Post by kristo »

i have previously owned one... whatcha need to know???
~Kris~

"You can not start a revolution with a silk glove."~Joseph Stalin
B&Bemployee1802
Amoeba

What were the spec. of the tank, like size, filtration, did you use a canopy or how did you keep it from climbing out. What kind of octopus? did you keep corals with it? I would like to build almost everything, tank, sump, etc. I'm not really concerned with looks as long as everything functions well. I would like the tank to be around 36x24x24.
lowrider
Amoeba

Post by lowrider »

BigPumper
Amoeba

Post by BigPumper »

I'm not sure a B&B employee has the capacity to care for a octopus, or even a goldfish for that matter.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

BigPumper wrote:I'm not sure a B&B employee has the capacity to care for a octopus, or even a goldfish for that matter.
This statement really aggravates me. Not everyone there is the same and I even used to work there a couple of years ago. The fact that this person wants to learn more about cephalopods is great and you bust their chops about being a B&B employee. With all due respect, that is just insular, ignorant, and just plain rude. I am sure there was a moment in time early in your experience where someone has questioned your capability to keep some organism. Please try to remember that we are here to help by sharing our knowledge, not flaunting it in people's faces in order to discourage them. Rant over.

In any case, B&B employee, I urge you to give it plenty of time for research before you start looking into any of these animals. www.tonmo.com is the best source for octopus and cephalopod care that I know of. These animals are very intelligent and very sensitive to water conditions. You should have the appropriate water temperature for your species, as well as effective protein skimming to keep organics down. All inlets should be screened off. The more difficult part, IMHO, is keeping the little guys entertained. Because they are intelligent, they are prone to getting bored, so give them some interesting (but safe) things to mess around with, with the occasional live prey being great for them in terms of keeping them entertained. In any case, check out the website and learn as much as possible before diving into these guys.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
B&Bemployee1802
Amoeba

first of all I don't work in fish, I do reptiles so I work in small animals. But I know the people that work in saltwater and they know alot and I don't appricate you talking crap about them. What do you have against BB employees? Yes some stupid people have worked there but not for very long. Oh, and I am more than capable of keeping an octopus.
BigPumper
Amoeba

Post by BigPumper »

Well, the other day when I tried to purchase some red leg mexican hermits there the attendant stated "those are not mexican red legs, they are blue leg hermit crabs, they are 2.99 each." I replied "those are clearly not blue leg hermit crabs, and red legs do not go for a premium like blue legs do." The attendant, who is supposedly "seasoned in the field" replied, "well they were shipped to us as blue leg hermit crabs so thats what we are selling them as."

So I went to the corvette dealership the other day as was wondering why they had pintos marked with a sticker price of 59,000.00. I asked the salesman why the pintos has such a high price and he stated "well, they were shipped to us a corvettes so that's what we are selling them as."
I think there is no further explanation needed, and with that being said, I only trust one persons opinion in that store and his name is jason.

I have no tolerance when ignorance and stupidity are a factor.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

BigPumper wrote:Well, the other day when I tried to purchase some red leg mexican hermits there the attendant stated "those are not mexican red legs, they are blue leg hermit crabs, they are 2.99 each." I replied "those are clearly not blue leg hermit crabs, and red legs do not go for a premium like blue legs do." The attendant, who is supposedly "seasoned in the field" replied, "well they were shipped to us as blue leg hermit crabs so thats what we are selling them as."

I think there is no further explanation needed, and with that being said, I only trust one persons opinion in that store and his name is jason.

I have no tolerance when ignorance and stupidity are a factor.
As for the last part, I can certainly agree with that.
Andrew

B&Bemployee1802
Amoeba

jason knows alot.
AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

BigPumper wrote:I'm not sure a B&B employee has the capacity to care for a octopus, or even a goldfish for that matter.
:roll:

I'm new to the saltwater dept.,and am trying to bring some responsible reefkeeping to the "B&B way" lol.
Seriously, I might not have a ton of experience, but I don't let people buy coral, fish, etc... without quizzing them alot about their system.

There are responsible reefkeepers everywhere, and even, yes, at B&B, if only a few.

P.S., Jason is very knowlegeable, so +1 to that but that's it.
Squirrelboy
Amoeba

Post by Squirrelboy »

Ok cant let that one slide, Jason was a customer of mine when I worked there and now that he works in the department I cant stand to walk in the saltwater department when he is there because of the twisted information he spews out. Dont mistake stringing bits of information together as knowledgable, every now nd then he gets something correct but thats sad when B&B actually has a few good staff members in saltwater and you name the worst of the bunch. If you are there and need information, grab one of the books they sell and browse through what you want and do your own research.
P.S.
Your name is not really an honor badge in alot of places BB but you shouldnt have a problem with an octopus at least your asking questions everyone is new at one point its not you its your name that is getting the grief here.
jdmorgan20fan
Amoeba

octopus

Post by jdmorgan20fan »

So what about that octopus?
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

B&Bemployee1802 wrote:What were the spec. of the tank, like size, filtration, did you use a canopy or how did you keep it from climbing out. What kind of octopus? did you keep corals with it? I would like to build almost everything, tank, sump, etc. I'm not really concerned with looks as long as everything functions well. I would like the tank to be around 36x24x24.
Good questions, great way to learn before diving in with a living creature. Keep up the good work with the questions B&Bemployee1802-questions bring knowledge!
Karen
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I'd like to reiterate what Karen has said and to welcome you to the site (I apologize for not doing that sooner). I also want to apologize that your first posts were met with issues. The bark is worse than the bite. In any case, we'd all be happy to help you out with any questions you might have and to answer them to the best of our ability, regardless of whom you work for.
Andrew