octopus.

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

I guess you're right about Jason...

Ever noticed how no matter what you ask him about, he always has an exaggerated scenario like, "Yeah, I had a friens who..." or, "Yeah, I used to have one in my 29..."?
Squirrelboy
Amoeba

Post by Squirrelboy »

like I said I couldnt let it slide im sure he has figured some basics out but of the saltwater staff there to call out Jason as your example is a mistake, he is just afaid to say I dont know so he splices pieces of information together that may not always be that far off but usually are twisted in some way... just the same you should always do your own research about anything you do and never take anybodys word as the absolute answer w/o checking into it a little further.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I am afraid I don't know many/most of the people that work there now, so I won't comment. I have, however, known James (that works with tank maintenance) for a long time and I would wager that he is the most knowledgeable person there in terms of marine aquariums. He has always been spot on and had a deeper understanding about various aquarium-related topics than most. A real congenial person, too. Of course, no offense to anyone else who works there, either.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
jdmorgan20fan
Amoeba

octopus

Post by jdmorgan20fan »

Well, I wanted to know more about the octopus aquarium but if you are going to stay talking about b and b then I agree James is very knowledgeable and if he doesn't know then he will tell you he doesn't know and find out for you. I got my first sps frag from him its still my favorite. As for everyone else, they are just trying to help and if you think about it, you can ask 1 question to 10 different people and get 10 different answers. It will always be a learn as you go.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Again, you'll want to check out www.tonmo.com . You are going to find more and better info there than just about anywhere else.
Andrew

kristo
Copepod

Post by kristo »

You asked me the specs. well the one i had was a dwarf so it needs a smaller tank. what i used was a 10 extra tall which tecniquely is a 20 gallon just extra tall.lol. but anyways sand is the best and to have minimum live rock because to octo. will either rearange it or he will cut his skin on it... usually its best to have one octo. and thats it per tank. keep the water level 1-2 inches below the black plastic that trims the tank due to it will discourage the octo. to attempt to sneak out. after this you are going to neep a GLASS top and a paper weight to keep him in. Use very minimum light and perfect water with a salinity of approx. 24 ppm. It can be 23ppm or 25 ppm but what ever you have you water at when you introduce the octo. in, keep it at that. i would be careful ab putting fingers in the tank too, they WILL BITE! i have had my share of beak bites and its not fun! ab the live rock, usually one large peice is the best. Filtration needs to be like a reef tank almost. skimmer, sump. when you put the input and output on the tank, put strong screens on the openings or you will have a octo. in your sump if it survives the fall... ummm... i cant think of anything else right now... anyother questions?
~Kris~

"You can not start a revolution with a silk glove."~Joseph Stalin
reefman8471
Amoeba

Post by reefman8471 »

The actual salinity reading should be 34-35ppt or 1.024-1.026 on the specific gravity scale. I think that is what Kris actual meant to say.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
B&Bemployee1802
Amoeba

Post by B&Bemployee1802 »

could you put soft corals like s and polyps in with an octopus
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Most species won't appreciate the brighter lighting required to keep corals. Some octopus even need specialized red spectrum lighting to keep them from stressing--and the red spectrum won't be that useful to corals. Strongly glued non-photosynthetic or very low light corals would probably be ok for more light tolerant species, though. And nothing that can sting very strongly.
Andrew

Beaver
Amoeba

Post by Beaver »

i know freakin everything

el beeeaverrr

buy a blue ring
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

Beaver wrote:buy a blue ring
lol, do they even make an antivenin for those?
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Beaver
Amoeba

Post by Beaver »

We had an octo at the sea lab and it would climbed out at night and would eat the angel fish and then return to his tank. Hard to believe if I hadn't saw it myself. They thought the grad students were stealing the fish, but it was the octo.

Sleep good

beaver
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Beaver is the god of all thats salty.

That is all.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Here is a link to my build thread.
http://www.mbrk.com/viewtopic.php?t=4194&highlight=

Keeping temp down and salinity correct was the most difficult part. WWW.tonmo.com is a huge source of info as someone mentioned. It was a really cool little animal but I will say getting and keeping up live food was a chore, I don't think I will keep another due to time and expense.

For the folks getting off topic, you really need to give LFS employees a break. This is a hobby that most of us enjoy and have gained knowledge from hours of research and personal experience. Its something we enjoy and we don't mind putting in the time to be very knowledgeable. These guys are there because its their job. They may have a background in the hobby but chances are they won't be as knowledgeable as an avid hobbiest. I can tell you I have not put near the time into learning the products I deal with on my job as I have the animals in my glass box.

Back to the car reference, would you walk into an auto dealership and rely on the salesman exclusively to put you in the right car at the right price? Or would you do some research first to avoid getting burned and to make sure you get what you want/need?
kristo
Copepod

Post by kristo »

Thankyou for correcting me james. that is correct. And no. Octo. like minimum light so i wouldnt suggest putting coral in the tank with it. and you also do not know how it will react to it. it might try and EAT IT!!! never know.
~Kris~

"You can not start a revolution with a silk glove."~Joseph Stalin