Thinking...

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: Thinking...

Post by snoopdog »

.....or rob a bank.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
opiy
Amoeba

Post by opiy »

Scott wrote:I have almost definitely decided on barebottom (I already have Starboard) and a refugium too.
This is something I have considered doing on my setup to be. Where did you get your starboard? I am wondering how easy it is to take care of and how pleasing it is to the eye. From what I have read it really is not a bad choice to do but you need a good skimmer and filter and such.

Larry
Larry
My build thread http://tiny.cc/JYzXJ
Slowly building up my equpiment.
Rule of Coral Shopping: If you don't buy it when your see it, it will not be there when you come back.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I purchased mine from AL-FLA Plastics in Pritchard/Eight Mile. Decent price considering the shipping online stores can charge and I was able to get just less than a half a sheet that was left over from something. I never got a chance to use it. I understand that there is slightly more maintenance involved but it's mostly vacuuming out detritus and when you determine where it accumulates it isn't that bad. A good skimmer is a must though.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I had black starboard on my 135. It wasn't bad looking. It basically became covered in coraline and zoanthids. I don't think I'd do it again. I'm happy with a shallow sand bed. Plus I tend to get fish that like sand.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I got the white, 1/2". I had enough left over to make a cutting board and I use a piece that was just scrap to clean fish, in the rare instance that I get to go fishing. I am planning on using it on the tank I am setting up. If I don't like it it should be easier to replace with a sandbed than the other way around.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Is that just the white stuff, like a cutting board ? Hell that have that at Sam's Club, a huge sheet for a professional chef.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

That is what Starboard is. I think the industry name is HDPE.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Well I do not know about putting it in a tank, it is great for cutting up mushrooms.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Most of the high density short poly-alkene plastics should be perfectly safe for aquarium use, as they are pretty much entirely inert.

MMMmmm, mushrooms and steak.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

So you are looking at getting Chalices for your tank... they have become very popular over the last few years!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1786055
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Of course, they were my favorite. I am not sure that I would pay the prices for them that I used to or that I would travel hundreds of miles just for them anymore. Kids and tuition are more important now.
opiy
Amoeba

Post by opiy »

Nice looking corals but it is amazing how expensive they are. What are they like maybe 1/2" for $150. :shock: I would buy one if it were a bit bigger, those looked like they would blow away in the current :D
Larry
My build thread http://tiny.cc/JYzXJ
Slowly building up my equpiment.
Rule of Coral Shopping: If you don't buy it when your see it, it will not be there when you come back.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

In the past I have been able to find nice stuff for way(!!!) less than that local, or at least somewhat local. I did drive to Nepthea's in Destin once but I ended up getting a bunch of frags and Max drove and also got some so it was worth it in the end (until the A. soli RTNed). One of the echinophyllias was large and I fragged it at least 5 times and then I think Lonestar (I think) got it when I was taking my tank down.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

How have you been doing Scott? This is the first time I've logged onto this website in years. I guess we have come full circle. I have been thinking about getting another tank also. Kevin has been telling me how low the maintenance is on his 29 gal so its got me thinking about getting one like his setup. No more big tanks for me just something fun and easy that want break the bank or flood the house.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Hey Jason. I have been good. In the past 4 years I have spent about half my time in the midwest (between Minneapolis, Madison, Kansas City, Wichita and Pueblo mostly). I think that I may not spend as much time out this year, my son is getting old enough to help and my daughter really wanted a to see the fish like she used to. So yeah, it looks like we have come full circle. How is life treating you? Still into trees :P ?