Chaeto Question

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

strout
Copepod

Chaeto Question

Post by strout »

I got my 10g Refugium up and running yesterday, and have a question. Should I keep the lights for the refugium on 27- 7, or can I just run the lights at night when the lights for the DT are off? I was thinking that if I just ran them at nite it would help keep the temp. in the tank down a bit during the day when the MH lights were on, but I don't want to kill the Chaeto. Figured I would check with ya'll on what was best.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: Chaeto Question

Post by Amphiprion »

Chaetomorpha is one of the few algae that still work at its best with a 24/7 schedule. For most others, I recommend a 14-18 hour schedule, as they'll need at least 6 hours of darkness. So, basically, a semi-reverse schedule is fine, also.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I feel that the refugium tank didn't have enough water movement in the tank, so I took the HOB filter that came with the tank when I bought it and have that running in the tank. Seems to be doing a good job with just the right amount of water movement. I am not using the filter in the HOB filter.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Update, the refugium tank apperars to be doing good but its to early to tell if the Chaeto is growing. Its still green so I guess thats a good sign :)
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

I prefer an 18hr lighting cycle for Chaeto and 12-14hr cycle for Caluerpa. Well, that's what I've observed the best growth rates at.