Vacation

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

AgeDynasty
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Vacation

Post by AgeDynasty »

I am new to the saltwater trade, and I am planning on going on vacation for two weeks, What is the best way to set up a tank for a vacation. Please any advise is really appreciated.
150 Gallon Mixed Reef
75 Gallon Mixed Reef
40 Gallon Frag System
Neuticle
Copepod

Re: Vacation

Post by Neuticle »

Two week is too long for most any tank, especially a new reef tank. You need to have a buddy come top it off and buffer (if you buffer) it every couple days. I've left my mature tank for as long as six days before, but that was before I had a trigger, he needs to be fed every other day so he doesn't start eating livestock.

An automatic topoff with kalk solution will keep it good a week with a big enough reservoir.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
AgeDynasty
Amoeba

Post by AgeDynasty »

Thanks for the Information, I don't have alot in the aquarium at the moment. I have a spotted grouper and a Lyertail Wrasses that I am trying to get rid of. I also have a Powder Blue Tang.
150 Gallon Mixed Reef
75 Gallon Mixed Reef
40 Gallon Frag System
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Too much can go wrong in that amount of time. It's best to have someone, even a neighbor that doesn't know crap about aquariums, at least make sure that everything looks okay. I have gone one week and by the time I got home I was severely stressed about what I was coming home to.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

We left for 10 day this past christmas. I had no problems with the tank, but then again I don't add any chemicals to the tank regular basis and I only have 3 small gobies. Less then an inch each. They seem to find pleanty to eat on the rocks. 10 days was the max for my auto top off though. I fill a rubbermaid tub and I guess 10 days is about the limit.