New Seagrass/Anemone build

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

New Seagrass/Anemone build

Post by Amphiprion »

Since my 40g is now officially out of commission, I've started setting up a new tank with a completely different goal--as the title suggests, seagrass and an anemone. Current plans and breakdown of the tank-to-be:

--25g cube, glass (18x18x18 in.) w/ HOB overflow (tempered glass, so no drilling)

--15g acrylic DIY acrylic sump (17x17x12)

--250w HQI pendant with XM 10000K lamp--MH only

--Mag 7 return (most of which will go to the scrubber)

--Modded Tunze Nanostream 6025 x1: will give me ~70x turnover with return

--Spectrapure UPLC auto top-off module with 100% kalkwasser as top-off

--Ranco temp controller

-- ~10 lbs of live rock, some of which will be in the sump to maximize sand area

--3 inches of live sand w/mud mixed in

--Algal turf scrubber--I'm going to hold off on it initially, since I want to give the seagrass a chance to grow-in. A scrubber can easily outcompete the grass if I let it. I'm also considering simply cutting down the scrubber photoperiod, which may be a better option. I had lots of success with one on my 40, so I'll continue using one.

That's it as far as the tank setup itself goes. Beyond what I listed, I'll just be using a bit of carbon running continuously in a passive manner.

The goal for this tank is to make it as simple as possible, with minimal maintenance and minimal equipment. The most I suspect this tank will demand is a good amount of food input to keep enough nutrients for the seagrass to grow properly. Well, that and weekly scrubber cleanings, which are fairly quick. I would also eventually have to start pruning the seagrass. So, basically all-natural filtration, occasional water changes, heavy feeding, and heavy plant/algal growth are the primary themes here.

However, I'm also planning on an anemone--likely one of the sand-dwelling, hosting species. Most of these do get pretty darn large, but it would have the entire tank at its disposal. Plus, I can also control the size to one degree or another with feeding frequency--all, of course, without any harm to the animal. The seagrass bed would be a very natural setting for these particular anemones, too.

So, for now, that's it. A natural tank that is as sturdy as I can make it in regards to water quality. Again, the only real challenge is the food input, which will have to be maintained at a fairly heavy pace, otherwise (oddly enough) pest algae and stunted plants will set in. It should also promote an ideal habitat for a dense population of other macro- and microorganisms, which should help in making this as natural and stable as possible. At any rate, I'm looking forward to it and sharing the experience, since this kind of tank isn't terribly common and as it goes against many of the common themes you'll often hear in regard to aquariums.

Pictures to come as I piece things together :D
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
redpheonix
Copepod

Re: New Seagrass/Anemone build

Post by redpheonix »

Andrew you should post some pics when you ge it going. Would love to check it out.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Well, had to rush a few of the inhabitants from the 40 into the tank yesterday. At least the rock is well-cured... So far, everything looks pretty good, though. The only downside is that I don't have my halide or overflow, yet, so no go there. I had to use the 2700K (read: yellow) compacts that I used for my scrubber, so it has this awesome (being facetious here) yellow cast to the water. I also just threw the rock in to serve as some form of filtration in the meantime. Nothing is final, though. I'll be working on the final 'scape, etc. in the next week. I'm also just now finishing up the sump I built. The scrubber will probably follow shortly afterward.
Andrew

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Some pics of the yellow tank:

With flash

Really yellow:

The good news, though, is that the halide came in today. I haven't hanged the fixture yet, but it will get done today. Some pics of the AquaMedic fixture that will be on the tank:

And with the new halide on:

Andrew

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Okay, my DIY acrylic sump is now complete and completely cured. I've water tested it for 5 days and it has remained completely water-tight. It won't be nearly as full as it is now, so I'd imagine that it would hold up just fine. I don't see any signs of any extreme stress on any of the seams and it has held its shape just fine. Pics tomorrow when I get it online.
Andrew

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Pics of the DIY sump:

It is 17"x17"x12", so I was able to use 1/4" acrylic without any bracing. If it were any taller than 12", I would've needed 3/8", which is a bit more expensive than I wanted to venture. I don't need the bracing, since it actually sits flush against the sides of the stand.
Andrew

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

After sleeping on it, I decided to place a single baffle in the sump--not for a bubble trap, since the flow will be low, but to allow for a semi-refugium. Minus the rocks' displacement, I estimate it holding about 6 gallons, with plenty of room for any extra water. It won't have any substrate, short of some rubble in a corner and I'll be placing a couple pieces of rock from the display in there, which I had planned on all along. I want minimal rock in the display--basically enough for the anemone I will eventually get to settle its foot into, if it decides to do so. I think a bit of careful arrangement should maximize sand surface area for the seagrass, as well as things like my sea cucumber which needs as much surface as possible.
Andrew

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Well, I got the sump going. Everything worked fine, but one pipe had a slight leak. Easy enough to fix that. The hang on overflow was a bit noisy at first, so I built a small standpipe on it to quiet it down. Here's a photo of the standpipe--it's very straightforward, consisting of a 1" T and cap:
The noise is minimal. There's a slight trickle into the box itself and a bit of noise as the bubbles go through the standpipe. It's certainly tolerable, IMHO.

More nighttime pics (excuse the mess and the yellowness of the room light):
Andrew

AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Tank should look great once it fills in a matures a bit.

How about a pic with your new seagrasses. :P
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I hope it starts looking good, lol. That's assuming all the seagrass weathers the move, etc. well. I can see some growth, but it is slow in spite of the lighting. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow (which would require me to actually clean the glass first...).
Andrew

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Well, I started having a few issues with the holder on the Aquamedic fixture. I was trying out one of the new lamps and cracked one of the ceramic ends because they had apparently contracted from when I first started using them. I know the same bulb was 5x harder to get back in. I tried to get a refund for this, but the place I got it from refused any returns or refunds if the box was opened. In response to that, I just got a Cayman Sun fixture from Hamilton lighting, whom, traditionally, I did not like. I have to say, though, from the tests I have seen using the reflector and the quality of the build, I'm very impressed. It was shown to be nearly 30% brighter than a LumenMax III reflector using the same bulb and ballast. I'll have some pics of this monster, as well as pics of the tank with it in action, tomorrow.
Andrew

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Quick update. I swung by B&B today to take a look at any potentially interesting macroalgae available and I spotted some nice specimens of Penicillus. I had originally decided not to go with too many macroalgae species, but I couldn't pass this one up. I had actually been considering either Penicillus or Rhipocephalus, but decided on the spot after seeing some of those shaving brushes. Within an hour, it was already strongly photosynthesizing, as evidenced by the oxygen bubbles beading from the siphons. I'm hoping with the exceptionally strong light and relatively strong water motion this alga will do well in the long run. I'm topping off with pure kalkwasser and thus far, calcium and alkalinity haven't been an issue, so it should be able to keep up with the demand from the Penicillus. I'm hoping to see this particular one even multiply, which it does through runners in the sand, which pop up after a bit of calcifying.

I also picked up a new male for my old female clownfish, after the last male tragically jumped through a gap in some eggcrate prior to setting this tank up.
Andrew

AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

I think I would have broke down and waited for Rhipocephalus, but either species is definitely very cool, especially when they start branching off and create a forest-like effect.

For anyone not familiar with Rhipocephalus, it's commonly called "Pinecone algae" and looks exactly like it sounds.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Who knows. I may still go with Rhipocephalus in the future. I don't know how well the Penicillus is going to do and I don't necessarily have to keep it even if it does do well. Right now, the possibilities for this tank are pretty wide open, which I'm enjoying thus far.
Andrew

AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Amphiprion wrote:Who knows. I may still go with Rhipocephalus in the future. I don't know how well the Penicillus is going to do and I don't necessarily have to keep it even if it does do well. Right now, the possibilities for this tank are pretty wide open, which I'm enjoying thus far.
Just reread my post, seemed a bit over-critical of your choice. Especially since it's not my tank! :?

Either one of them will look great!