Oops... Averted BIG Disaster

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Oops... Averted BIG Disaster

Post by AuroraDrvr »

I was woken up this morning to a 240 gallon tank that popped two center braces between last night at 12 and around 9 in the morning. The tank was bowing about 3-4" total in the center.

Luckily no side seams split, though they were showing that they were starting to pull the silicone apart and fail. We quickly drained the water level to 1/2 way, where it sits right now. We've still got all the livestock in the tank, and it's just circulating with PH's.

Time to look for a new (used) tank that has the standard 8x2' footprint. Anyone want a killer deal on a 240 that needs blown apart and reseamed? lol
Neuticle
Copepod

Re: Oops... Averted BIG Disaster

Post by Neuticle »

That would suck, you're lucky it happened on a weekend when you have a little time to mess with it.
AuroraDrvr wrote:Anyone want a killer deal on a 240 that needs blown apart and reseamed? lol
That would make good use of my RTV stash :D If you're interested in dumping it, I may try to get it off you for glass.
Last edited by Neuticle on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

That is a scary problem. Amazing it didn't break. I have a freshwater 120 and it sits on beams that over piers supporting my house. It is scary when I think of the floor breaking.
likes2fly
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by likes2fly »

I have a 180g in a condo sitting on piers.
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Yes, it was definitely an attention getter.

I'm not sure what we are going to do. I can't find a 240 or other tank with a 8x2 footprint anywhere in LA, MS, AL or the FL panhandle. And we really can't afford to buy new. We may just have to stuff the fish into our 125 until we can find a suitable replacement tank.
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

You could build a sit on top brace. I built one for my tank out of 1X1 angle and connected it with 1/2x1/2 angle on top and welded it all together. I sanded it and primed it and then coated it with plastic/rubber coat
That way I can remove my center brace and not have to worry about the tank bowing from the pressure.

Might try that if the seams are still good. Feel free to give me a call
228-990-7340 Zack
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

I took a couple pics of the brace I made. If you text me I will text you the pics of it to see if something like this might work for you.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Man Zack, all of us are not welders. Great you can do this.Is there any damage to the silicon on the seams with the tank bowing?
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

I can see it now; you bring the arc welder in the fish room, put the mask on, and sparks are flying as you weld.
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

No I measure the outside edge of the tank and build the brace to match then paint and seal it so that it can be placed on top of the tank. I usually leave about a 1/4" gap and use small wedges so it can be snugged up just right. But it's welded at home (actually my dads house that's where the wire welder is.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

I have a welder, and know how to weld...

Problem is, the side seams are compromised and showing the beginnings of failing.