Why did Silver Branch Xenia die?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Crustman
Amoeba

Why did Silver Branch Xenia die?

Post by Crustman »

I had a colony of 2 stalks. The Coral Beauty attacked it and it immediately started to die. I isolated it and put it in a Refugium because I thought the base would produce new growth. Nothing is happening and the base is breaking down now. Is this Xenia type a Heteroxenia? I have seen Xenias come back from where they peeled from the base. Not with this one! B and B won't have them again til Nov. They are ORA. I talked to Bill the owner.
Neuticle
Copepod

Re: Why did Silver Branch Xenia die?

Post by Neuticle »

Are you a heavy water change guy? I was..

Xenia never grew much for me, then I started going to a more normal water change schedule and it took off.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Nope, I hold off on water changes and then only change about 12 gallons. Other delicate corals work in my system. Thanks
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

What kind do you have? Pink Pom Pom?
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

I have pink and silver, but it took a long time for the silver to start growing. In the last month the silver has tripled in size, and opens up fully to pulse. The silver is much more sensitive than the pink.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Silver is my new favorite and now ORA has one called Octopus Ink. It is a Heteroxenia.