Do Blue Jaw triggers eat Tridacna clams?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Crustman
Amoeba

Do Blue Jaw triggers eat Tridacna clams?

Post by Crustman »

They are reef safe except may be hit or miss for Tridacna. What do you all think. Thanks
Neuticle
Copepod

Re: Do Blue Jaw triggers eat Tridacna clams?

Post by Neuticle »

I would say no, they're not really equipped to tear into one. My blue jaw has never shown any interest in anything that doesn't float (i.e plankton), and my two big clams have never been damaged.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Thanks for this. Did you get your fish locally?
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

Yup at B&B, I think I saw the one you're talking about on Friday, he looks great. Mine isn't a bully at all, but I have seen him retaliate against the Kole and the Lawnmower after they attacked him. Very cool fish.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

I went to get him but didn't want to fork out 59. The fish ate great but my tank is small and don'tknow how he will get along with all my fish especially the Mandarin. Other triggers are on sale so I will wait for a sale on these and then decide. Bought a Derasa clam that was 1/2 off. Looks like an ORA. Not as nice as the trigger but at least I have something new.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

If i remember correctly you only have a 65 right? If thats the case I wouldn't get one of those triggers. I don't think it would pick on much of anything in your tank but the size and current number of fish would cause concern for me. I use to have a nice fat one in my old 135. Great fish.