A ?? About a Coral

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

strout
Copepod

A ?? About a Coral

Post by strout »

I have a frag of ( I thinks its called) A Neon Green Candy Cane coral. A friend over in Biloxi have me a one polyp frag of this coral about three months ago, I don't know how old it was when she made the frag, but appears to be and older frag. I have since bought another frag of this coral that has about 20 to 30 polyps on it ( I guess polyps is the right word for this coral, its not a zoa) . I am going to spread the love and give the one polyp frag to someone that has just started out in the hobby. Anyway my question is this, Is this a slow growing coral? I have had the frag about three months and it dosn't appear to even have a hint of new polyp starting any where on the frag. The one polyp that is on the frag is nice looking, large, puffs out when the MH lights are on, basically, a nice polyp but not a hint of any growth.
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Re: A ?? About a Coral

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Candy Cane corals divide polyps. They'll grow a second mouth, and slowly divide into a new polyp with a separate skeleton. On our candy cane colony, I'd guess it takes 2-3 months for the polyp to fully divide, maybe a little longer.

Another thing to note, I don't feed the colony at all. It does like lots of light though. It's about 14" below a 6x54W T5 setup.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Thanks for the help, just wondering, do Frog Spawns do pretty much the same thing?
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Yep. That's their primary means of reproduction, but they will both sprout new heads.